Glowplug relay location

B3Syncro

I've got two questions regarding a 2000 Golf TDI.

(1)Where is the Main Glow Plug Relay located?
I've looked through my Bentley CD and have not found the location for the main glow plug relay. I've located the coolant heater relays under the hood, but need to access the engine Glow plug relay for diagnostic reasons.

(2)Need suggestions for a cold start problem.
This Golf has had starting problems that originally were traced to a faulty ECT sensor. We replaced the sensor and after a week, the same symptoms are surfacing. The glowplug light comes for only a very short period during a cold start, but no power to the plugs. If we unplug the ECT, the system works fine. We have tested all glow plugs and found them to be OK. I've cleared the DTC's with VAG COM and done an output test which appears to work fine.

Thanks,
Les Burt

[ November 02, 2002, 07:41: Message edited by: B3Syncro ]

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
1. The Glow Plug Relay is located under the driver's instrument panel, lower trim, the same place as Relay 109. I believe the number on it is 180.

2. Tough question! I'd say if you unplug the ECT sensor and the system works, then the problem is with the ECT sensor. Without the ECT sensor, you get voltage to the GPs. You should also get it with the ECT sensor, just not very long if it's not that cold.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
rumor has it that the temp sensors are color coded. If you get the wrong sensor as a replacement, it will not work.

B3Syncro

The sensors are colour coded blue or green. Some of the early 2000 models that were built in '99 had the blue sensor, all other 2000+ TDIs wre green according to the local VW dealer. I picked the correct sensor by referencing the VIN with ETKA to be sure. The original sensor was green just like the replacement, so I am sure that the replacement sensor is correct.