Location of A/C relay, Fan Relay? 2000 TDI Beetle Other?

Redty

TDI
2000 TDI Beetle
Guys,
Need some help, hopefully someone will see this today that is guruish.

1. Think the fan or the A/C relay is out on the wife's 2000 TDI Beetle, A/C comes on at switch, but no action on fans and the compressor, put gauges on the system, pressure ok, may hard jump the compessor to make sure the clutch is not bad. Dealer charged a lot of money once on this same problem they stated it was a fan relay that went bad, I am thinking the same thing? Bently publication is very vague and does not site or locate the fan or a/c relays? This is the updated 3.0 manual.

2. Saw some discussion on the 109 or 601 relay, this applies to the Beetle as well?

3. Recent sluggish performance, doesn't seem like the turbo is kicking in all the time, "sometimes" really down on power, but not always, VAG Com shows nothing, no trouble codes...

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Fan control module is is below the battery. You would need to remove the battery and battery box to get at it. Its a box, maybe 6"Lx2"wx2"d.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Redty said:
3. Recent sluggish performance, doesn't seem like the turbo is kicking in all the time, "sometimes" really down on power, but not always, VAG Com shows nothing, no trouble codes...
"Sometimes" would make me think limp mode. Tops out around 70, cant maintain speed going up hills?

Has the intake on the car ever been cleaned?

Redty

TDI
2000 TDI Beetle
Intaked system getting cleaned today after this post.

Found the article on the intake/intercooler cleaning, running up to shop for cleaners now, might as well do it while car is up for oil change.

Does disabling the EGR have any real benefits, seems there was an article on how to do this with VAG-COM, any other tips/tricks links?

Thanks
Steve

Redty

TDI
2000 TDI Beetle
Fan Control module?

Is this where the relay is at, or should I start chasing down power on/off active not active at this location? Or is Module = relay?

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Module = relay. Also in regards to the intake cleaning just realize that it is a good 4-6 hour project for the beginner.

The Vag-com mod for the EGR has been pretty conclusively proved ineffective so I wouldn't even bother with it.

Redty

TDI
2000 TDI Beetle
Thank you for Help, so far problems 3 Steve 0

Ok, cleaned the intake system out and man was it dirty took about 2 hours overall, but I have done this type of thing before.:)

Thanks for the note on the EGR VS VAGCOM, won't bother with it.

Still on the suggish side, will look into ECM or 109/601 relay issues, had a bad battery a while back, caused all kinds of weird issues, may have damaged the relay, fuses seem ok. Seems VAG-Com would pick up something besides the Glow Plug issue.:confused:

A/C, seems the clutch is bad, hooked a jumper into the system and directy connected to the battery for the compressor bypassing the A/C circuit, did not kick on, tells me clutch is bad, possibly compressor, was noisy before this, secondarily the test light is getting a flash of power every 5 seconds or so trying to activate the clutch, so think the circuit is good, clutch is bad, may just replace the compressor and refill with 134a or enviortech synthetic, not sure if the VW will like this (envirotech), but man is it good cold stuff. Use it on all my other vehicles, but the VW seems finicky. Any good suppiers on the net for a TDI compressor, know they are different, know they ain't cheap. :cool:

Hey managed the oil change with no issues...:)

Thanks
Steve

2000 Beetle (wife) named "Buggy" seems to fit.
1999 Dodge Diesel, chip, 4 inch exhaust, high flow filter, 17second 1/4 mile
and 23 mpg highway, not bad for a 6200 pound truck. Known as the "clacker".
1992 GMC Typhoon, AWD, 4.3 litre Turbo/intercooled, 0-60 in 3.8sec and standing 1/4 mile on street gas 13.03 at 103mph with a 1.78 60ft.

Redty

TDI
2000 TDI Beetle
Power issue found out BAD BAD MAF, BAD MAF, BAD BAD MAF

Well Vag-Com tells the story, the MAF is no where in spec, car runs much better without the MAF connected and the parameters are way out of spec when connected. :rolleyes:

Time to order a MAF, checking the dealership in the AM, someone said they were running $86.00 or so, otherwise EBAY and a few others have them from Bosch for around 95.00 or so.:cool:

On the A/C, ANUT, I might just give you a call, need to get to the bottom of this, are you a shop or a private guy doing work on the side?:D

Sincerely,
Steve

Wook660

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Red Jetta GL TDI 5 speed
Did you check the fuse on top of the battery? I had this problem with the AC, the fuse had blown.

Redty

TDI
2000 TDI Beetle
Did check the Fuse saw that on another post.

Yepper,
Did check it, no issues there, was hoping for an easy one, but after jumpering the compressor directly and not getting the clutch to engage, figure that was all she wrote, she's pumping mud, time to shut er down. As noisy as the compressor was getting, it was about time anyway.

Ordered the MAF sensor today, should be here in a couple days, Bosch unit, 95.00 with shipping.

One battle at a time...:cool: