Weird noise when clutch depressed

dmalovic

TDI
Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI(ALH), 2004, Stone blue
Hi!

I have a '93 TDI, ALH engine, EGR tranny, all stock but PP520 installed, with measured 113Hp at the wheels.

The car is only 9 months old with 17 000 miles on it. It only had one service at 10000 miles.

I noticed recently that when I upshift while accelerating, when I depress the clutch to shift up, there is a strange whining or whirring noise coming from the engine compartment. When I do the same downshifting when decelerating, I can't hear the same noise. When the clutch is released, the noise stops. There is NO clutch slip.

My question is: is my throw-out bearing going out, and what can I do about it. How long will it last? Will they replace such a thing under warranty (I still have 1.5 years left). I am affraid that when I show the dealership what is happening, that they will simply say - this is normal

The car is a Skoda Octavia 2004, but I said 2003, because it is identical to the Golfs sold in the USA as far as the powertrain is concerned.

Thanks for yuur insight!

domi

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I would agree - throw out bearing. If it is still silent when the clutch is engaged, the outer ring has not yet separated.
In any case..you need to remove the tranny to replace the bearing; you might consider getting a clutch kit and replacing the whole clutch assembly as well.