www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 28th, 2018, 15:05   #16
Fixmy59bug

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Especially after getting rid of the OEM Nexen 235-45-18 tires.
For what it’s worth, Nexen tires are not OEM.

Never has been.

Edit: I just saw you are in Canada. I may be wrong about Non-US locations.
Old July 28th, 2018, 19:16   #17
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Just for what its worth, Continental also makes the General Altimax RT43 tires which of which I had four 235-55-18 installed last fall at quite a bit less cost than Conti's.
Love the Altimax RT43's !!!
Me, too. Have them on my MKIV and B4. Ride great, silent, and reasonably grippy. Good in the rain, too. And inexpensive.
Old July 29th, 2018, 09:54   #18
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
For what it’s worth, Nexen tires are not OEM.
Never has been.
Edit: I just saw you are in Canada. I may be wrong about Non-US locations.

Yes you are! Nexen POI's were OEM's here!
Old August 1st, 2018, 20:00   #19
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

I like continental tires, has anyone try the sure contact RX I am seeing great reviews on them,, I need to buy 4 and that's the tire that I point my eye to it,, Any tire gurus here that can chime in?
Old August 2nd, 2018, 07:38   #20
sands80

Fuel Economy: 46.4mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejpassat View Post
For those of you with the new Conti LS tires, have you noticed any difference in mpg compared to the stock conti's?
Hand calculated I lost very roughly about 1 mpg in my daily driving. This is comparing the worn down potenza's to the new Continental LS (may not be what your asking).

Other than the MPG's, we've had a couple downpours on some newly paved (asphalt) highways and they had gripped quite well - no hydroplaning what so ever. Really pleased about that - considering the amount of driving I do...

5K miles on them and still a quiet ride. I rotate them every 2.5K to 3K miles.
sands80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2018, 04:30   #21
740GLE
Veteran Member

We had good luck with Nokian enTyre 2.0 on our '12 Passat we put 30K trouble free miles on them and still had tons of tread life left when it went back to VW. Our '15 has Bridgestone something or others that were installed as part of the NOS sale, they seem to be wearing very well.

Alltrack on the other hand has some junky Faulkens in an odd size 205-55-17, that seem to be making their way to the recycler real fast, With about 12-14K on them and prob half gone, I'm thinking by the end of next summer I'll be sourcing replacements and prob will go with another set of Nokian enTyer.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 15:14   #22
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Bought my car with 34.5k miles and it had Continental Procontacts on them. Overall not that bad of a tire till earlier this week. Doing 70mph when I heard a noise that wasn't normal. I immedilately pulled over to check my tires.

My rear passenger looked normal, but was extremely hot. I decided to put the spare on. After I took the tire off I was surprised at how bad the inside of the tire was.

Granted I'm at 53k miles miles on them at this point, but they are rated for 55k I believe. They did need to be changed soon (and all 4 will be tomorrow now), but they still had 4/32 tread left.

Our old Jetta had the same tires, but I only about 30k miles on them without issue. My wife's 2017 Passat has the same tires with 20k miles on them and they have been good. I'm not sure why my tire decided it about wanted to explode on me on I4, so my new tires tomorrow will be Michelin Premier A/S.

I've always wanted to try the Premier tires, so I'll give them a shot. I had Pirelli P7's on our old Jetta and think we got 55k miles out of them. Most of that was city driving, so I guess that isn't too bad. I will say I was not a big fan of the wet traction on them. Our Michelin MXM4's gave us about 52k miles and I loved those tires! I was going to buy them again for my 15' Passat TDI, but I figured I would try a different Michelin tire. I don't think the Premier's were available for our 2010 Jetta TDI.

Next go around I may try the Purecontacts, but I'll stay away from the Procontacts, unless I find a killer deal on them.

Last edited by Smashed Ixnay; August 10th, 2018 at 06:09.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 12:17   #23
Pitchar

Its about that time for me. Was looking at the TrueContacts with the 90k mile warranty