Overnighter

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Taking the Jetta up to Oregon on Sunday for the eclipse. Saw on the news where stations in Oregon are running out of gas due to the traffic - figured diesel would still be available.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Good call; hope you have a good camera for it. I'd love to see some nice pics. We'll get just over 80% eclipse here in Maryland, neat show but not the total package ;)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All I'm taking is my iPhone. I didn't want to lug a bunch of stuff and I figure there will be tons of pictures way better than any I could take on the Internet.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Where are you going? Haven't heard of any problems finding diesel in Central Oregon. Right now traffic in Bend is extra light.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Just a friendly reminder to have the correct glasses to view the eclipse or you can damage your eyes. I'd also take a few gallons of D2 along just in case.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where are you going? Haven't heard of any problems finding diesel in Central Oregon. Right now traffic in Bend is extra light.
Our motel is in Eugene. Then I'll try to get up to the Albany area early Monday morning.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just a friendly reminder to have the correct glasses to view the eclipse or you can damage your eyes. I'd also take a few gallons of D2 along just in case.
I'd bought some then our niece back in Virginia sent us a couple of pairs from NASA. So I took the 3 pair I'd bought down to my sister in Sacramento so she, her husband, and their son could use them. I have a 1 gallon container of Diesel HPR.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, drive up and back went smoothly. Most of the time I was able to run 70 - 80, though there were periodic slowdowns. On one section of I-5 south of Red Bluff, a black (or VERY dark blue) MkIV Jetta Wagon TDI blew by me at about 90 - 95! He must have stopped somewhere for awhile because I caught up with him around Yreka; he was always ahead but then just about the border he slowed down and stayed in the right lane so I passed him and lead until he peeled off at Ashland.

Anyway, left Oroville, CA at 6:10 A.M. on Sunday and arrived at our motel in Eugene, OR just before 1 P.M. Trip included a couple of short bio-breaks. Since our room wasn't ready, we drove up to the eclipse centerline area, and ended up fueling the Jetta at $2.499 per gallon and ourselves at Sizzler Steakhouse, both in Albany, OR. Returned to Eugene and checked into the motel.

This morning we checked out and drove back up to Albany and had a second breakfast at a diner next to where we filled the Jetta. Finished eating just about 9:00 A.M. and the eclipse started at 9:05! Totality started a 10:17 and ended 1 minute and 50 seconds later. By 10:25 we were back on the road. Oregon DOT was obviously smart enough to not do roadwork on I-5 today; unfortunately, CalTrans wasn't! Had a big delay through and area where they were working on a southbound off ramp and its associated on ramp. The two right lanes were closed so three lanes of traffic were squeezed into one lane for a few miles.

After a couple of bio-breaks, and dinner at the Outback Steakhouse in Chico, CA, we arrived home just before 7 P.M.

Last edited: