Dreaded Emissions Workshop message.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Got this message and pulled the codes with VAG-Com.

#17056, Glow plug cylinder #2 electrical failure.

I take it to the dealer and they say it is not under warranty under the 5 year, 60K mile Drivetrain warranty. Car won't be 5 until next March and only 38K miles.

Is this supposed to be covered or not? Either under the Drivetrain or the emissions section?

Thanks in advance.

diesel#2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen, 2004.5 Passat Variant (sold), 2000 Golf (still in family), 1998 jetta (RIP)
glow plugs are normal wear and tear (like tires).. so NO.. this isn't covered by warranty.

Also.. Do a search on this though and cross reference it w/ your VIN. If you have ceramic plugs (I think mostly the 04s and early 05's but maybe all) you may have ceramic glow plugs which require a reflash of the ECU (the ceramic run at 7V the steel at 5V and brown out quickly if put under a 7V laod). THIS it seems should be a warranty issue but isn't being treated as one so you have to pay for a reflash (or upgrade to a rocketchip-- much more fun in my oppinion)

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, they replaced all 4 with the "new" part as she noted and reflashed for a total of $270.

At that price, I might as well get the other Passat in and get them swapped too. No need to worry about this issue.

Just waiting on the balancer shaft issue to raise its ugly head. :)

chippie

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI, Isuzu P'up Diesel
Glow Plugs at Dealer

I have just left my 2005 Passat 42,000 miles at the dealer and they quoted me $260 just to see what is wrong with the car (I have the Emission Workshop light, noise in the lower engine and transmission not shifting as it should). I call the only dealers we have in the SF bay area and they want $370 just to replace the glowplugs and none had any idea about reprograming for the new plugs. I am going to send them the TB when I get an answer on what is wrong with the car. I know it is a lot to ask but I would like to get a copy of your invoice as I am expecting the dealer to hit me with a large bill for the work. $270 sounds like a fair price if they include the parts. I talked to VWoA and they may look into covering it as the vehicle was in for a glow plug light staying on (brake light recall) last September. This and the other possible up coming issues have changed my views about TDI's, I still have to keep saying to myself this is a good car but it is going to be even harder when I get the credit card out for the coming fixs (GP and BS). I am determined to get some aid from VWoA and hate getting the feeling I am getting ripped off by dealers

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
I think you can force the issues. As one plug is bad, they then have to update to the new steel ones. That should be under warranty as it affects the emissions.

They cannot just replace one, different voltages, hence the re-flash.

clicker

TDI
2004 Passat 2.0 TDI
What does a glow plug have to do with emissions? I thought they only came on during the start cycle?

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Clicker they are also used after start up for a period of time based on engine temperature and speed.

clicker

TDI
2004 Passat 2.0 TDI
Thanks. I talked to the dealer today. I'll be getting a package deal on new steel plugs, ECM flash, TB change and a new temp sensor. There goes by beer money...

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Emissions laws cover multiple engine system components. Just checking if it is considered emissions, since in cold weather you need them and it could impact the levels of emissions based on the quality and temp of the start.

Here is the copy of the invoice. The reflash was done under warrantee for free.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=55577&cat=500&ppuser=14466

Select the "multimedia." Guess it does not preview .pdf files.

csimo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I suggest you check your original warranty booklet and see if the glow plugs are covered by the 8 year / 80,000 mile emissions warranty.