glow plug circuit code

mynewgolf

TDI
03 golf
HI - I have a 2003 golf - I acquired a glow plug #3 circuit code (engine light on in my dash) - I replaced the harness and the plugs (they were old) - the fuse looks good above the battery - I will inspect the relay later today - any other ideas or suggestions??? - PS the car starts and runs fantastically :) Morgan - 2003 Golf GL 303k

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
There is a stickie in this 101 section that tells how to test the glow plugs. The CEL will not go out by itself, but I can use the Ultra Gauge to turn it off for some of the minor faults. Scan Gauge can also turn them off; otherwise you would need a VCDS cable.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Have you cleared the code? It won't necessarily be cleared by fixing the cause.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
IIRC the code will clear after starting the car five times and the problem hasn't returned. Turning it off with a simple code reader or whatever will work too if you're in a hurry or you hate seeing the CEL all the time.

mynewgolf

TDI
03 golf
thanks - i was told the code reader will not reset the indicator - I don't know what a scan gauge is or an ultra gauge??

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
or an IIRC or CEL???? - wow you folks have the lingo down :)
IIRC is If I recall correctly, and CEL is Check Engine Light. As far as internet lingo goes, they're old as the hills...but the list is growing every day.

Did you change the glow plug harness complete (to the plug) or did you cut the wires and splice it in?

The boys are right above. Have to clear the code. I wouldn't troubleshoot anything unless the code comes back after you clear it out.