Oil and filter

Peters1991

TDI
2005 Volkswagen jetta TDI 1.9L
Hi I'm new here and I wanted to ask a couple questions. Was wondering what type oil and filter is best when changing my oil and how much oil. I have a 2005 Jetta TDI 1.9L. Any basic info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Hi I'm new here and I wanted to ask a couple questions. Was wondering what type oil and filter is best when changing my oil and how much oil. I have a 2005 Jetta TDI 1.9L. Any basic info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
4-4.5L should be enough.. get a 20L/5 gallon pail of SHELL ROTELLA T6 SYNTHETIC 0W-40 and youre good for 3 or so oil changes.

get 4 or so of these guys and youre good to go for a long time..

http://www.idparts.com/oil-filter-a4b55-p-241.html

do not use a 30W oil. 5W-40 I believe is ok too.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
I know this is the wrong thread, but when did T6 become a 0W-40? Did I miss something?
During the last typo. :D
lol yeah you both must have missed something somewhere!

0w40 is the perfect oil as far as I know. nice and thin in the winter, and nice and thick in the summer. Ive read horror stores about what a 30W oil can do to the cams in an ALH TDI motor.

t6 in the car. plain ol rotella T 15w40 in the dirtbike. only buy 20L pails as its cheaper that way!

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
iirc, BEW motor uses the same filter as the ALH, so, get a OEM Mann from one of the TDIclub vendors.

oil? At Wal-Mart, look at Shell Rotella T6 5w40 or Chevron Delo 400 LE 5w40. they are usually under $22/gallon jug

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Yeah, I was curious and even went to the Shell Rotella T website and there was no mention of it.

Last time I checked the Shell website it only showed the 0w-40 in the T5 semi-synthetic version and also what was on the shelves at some truck stops in Ontario.
Going back into Ontario Friday for the seasons first ice fishing trip, so I will have to check out what the have to offer this year, even though I have no intention of buying any. It's silly expensive there compared to the Delvac 5w-40 which I get for $15/gal.

Last edited:

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
IIRC Canadian Tire has a European formula supposedly meeting 504.00 and 507.00. Does anybody know the validity of that? It costs less than the Castrol at VW but I would want to know for sure it is OK to use.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
wow, interesting. obviously because weve got colder temps, but still weird.
As soon as you posted "0w40" I figured you were in Canada, which was easy to confirm. Diesel-rated synthetic oils in the US are almost all 5w40.