starter issues

robertbrucehutchion

TDI
so here is my story bought a 2000 jetta tdi started fine in summer come winter the starter will rotate the flywheel but then kicks out to soon. so i went and bought another starter and it has the same issue only in cold start so whats going on i have read plenty of post but no real answers when it come to premature starter disengagement .I did read in one post about replacing the starter bushing in the transmission when you change starter but i never did do you think this could be my problem?

extended glow plug time
new glow plug harness
new glow plugs
my pump timing is withing spec but one the advanced side
iq is running at3.2

any help would be great

binky973

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
mine's doing the same thing. my positive connections were loose. check/clean battery and starter clamps and connectors and the big ground connection on the block and battery

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I did read in one post about replacing the starter bushing in the transmission when you change starter but i never did do you think this could be my problem?
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the starter bushing you mention was used on the Mk4 cars. It was in the engine block, not the transmission. Earlier Mk3 stuff, maybe?

I remember the bushing in question from working on the old VW T4 diesel vans. The bushing was in the block, and it did wear out in grand fashion and cause starting problems. I know VW stopped using these in the diesel vans in the mid to later 1990's.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
A4 TDI starter is self-contained ...no external bushing.

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
Worn ring gear on the tc or flywheel.
Low voltage at the starter - low enough that the hold in windings in the solenoid don't hold the pinion gear in mesh.
Poor connection(s) in the starter circuit on the control side. Would have the same effect as turning the key away from start.

binky973

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
i have the same problem. all my connections are good, battery is good, but, i replaced my rotten wire from battery to starter with a larger gauge, could that do it? i forget if the larger gauge, while allowing more voltage to pass, will cause high resistance when a lower voltage is used.... i get about 2-3 engine turns and it kicks off

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Perhaps the ignition switch is worn. I would check there first. They do wear out and get sloppy.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
...i replaced my rotten wire from battery to starter with a larger gauge, could that do it? i forget if the larger gauge, while allowing more voltage to pass, will cause high resistance when a lower voltage is used.... i get about 2-3 engine turns and it kicks off
Your logic is backwards. A larger wire (cable) will have less resistance, thereby allowing the same amount of current to pass with less voltage drop, making it seem like the engine cranks just perceptively faster.

The starter will draw the same amount of current regardless of wire size, until the wire size is so small it will act as a current limit resistor or fuse and be destroyed.

As you use larger & larger wire, the voltage drop across the wire becomes less and less, until the wire is so large that the voltage drop becomes infinitesimally small.

Tony

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
i have the same problem. all my connections are good, battery is good, but, i replaced my rotten wire from battery to starter with a larger gauge, could that do it? i forget if the larger gauge, while allowing more voltage to pass, will cause high resistance when a lower voltage is used.... i get about 2-3 engine turns and it kicks off
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=256705

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
If your starter is not staying engaged it could be the solenoid going bad, this is one of the things that controls the gear coming out.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Worn ring gear on the tc or flywheel.
Low voltage at the starter - low enough that the hold in windings in the solenoid don't hold the pinion gear in mesh.
Poor connection(s) in the starter circuit on the control side. Would have the same effect as turning the key away from start.

The answer lies in here somewhere. OP said he replaced the starter so the problem isn't the starter itself or the solenoid since they're one unit.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Has anyone found out the root issue to this problem?
It can be many things. Start with easiest first. Check/clean power and grounds. Check battery voltage while cranking. (Should be below 10v) pull your starter. Clean the shaft. Check flywheel gear. If your inclined enough you can pull apart the starter and clean and regrease it.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Has anyone found out the root issue to this problem?
It may help if you create your own thread for your own problem. Generally, the issue described by the op is due to a failed starter (especially aftermarket ones) or flywheel, but there are several other things that should be checked.