2.0L Engine Fix

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
Did anyone here go for the 2.0L engine fix instead of the buyout? If so, how long does it take? Are there any recommended dealers? Are they obligated to provide a rental?

Getting it done locally is proving difficult. There was some miscommunication from Rice Point in the summer and then with the local dealership (summer and fall). I'm now booked to get it done on Dec. 17 which leaves very little wiggle room given the Dec. 31 deadline. Most recently, the dealer claims that the car had an engine code when the oil was changed two weeks ago so they didn't schedule the emissions work and sent back the required parts... all without ever recording the mystery engine code on any of my paperwork or informing me that they wouldn't actually call to book the emissions mod appointment :rolleyes:

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Yes. Dealer (Orillia) had my car for 2 days. They're obligated to cover the rental cost. I think I called them on a Thursday and my car went in on the Monday. Fedex guy showed up a few days later with the cheque.

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. Will call Owasco, Lauria, and Orillia tomorrow to see if they can get it done.

TDI73

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I have done it (both Phase 1 and 2 at the same time) - 2015 Golf - at the end of October. It took a day - drop off first thing in the morning and pick up at 5 PM. They had to order parts based on VIN, it took around a week for parts to arrive. Best to book appointment right away as Dec 31 is not too far away.
I did it at Roseland VW in Burlington, and it looks like they did a good job. And rental is covered by VW, if you do not want rental you have to sign that it was offered and refused. Hope this helps

Edit: maybe if you can find someone with VCDS (VAG-COM) to do a scan and see if there are any codes stored....

Last edited:

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
When I called today, I fully expected them to tell me the parts are in and that I could drop off the car this week or next, not some BS about non-existent engine codes. I agree VW is cutting it close at this point. I'm going to go in and chat with the dealer tomorrow morning about what exact code they found but know the car has never had a CEL. Truthfully, it's my wife's daily driver and I don't drive it much. Given its age, low mileage, and the emissions issue, we've been using the dealer for service up to now.

I have VCDS but haven't used it much since I sold my allroad. I'll certainly be scanning it this week.