Mechanic in Seattle area

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
You might give Campbell Nelson (in Edmonds) a call. I got a coupon advertising very reasonable prices on timing belt changes.

I'm not anywhere near the interval yet so I threw it away and unfortunately I don't remember the price they quoted but it was under $200, if memory serves.

There wasn't any fine print excluding the TDIs so you may get a good deal there.

I have only had routine maintenance and a little warranty work done there but so far no horror stories (oil has been at correct level, etc.).

Good luck.

Frank Doherty

I believe that Heinz had a good experience with a garage in Tacoma by (I think)the name of Midland Automotive. I'd give them a call. You had better check and verify with the service manager if you think that you can get the folks in Edmonds to agree to change your timing belt for $200. That would be contrary to just about everything that Stealerships hold near and dear to their hearts....that is, transferring your money into their bank accounts....

e-VOLVed

Veteran Member
TDI
All deceased
I checked with a friend of mine in Chaplin's service department... he brought out 'standard charges' book that shows what a dealer is allowed to charge for a job.

VW says that labor should be 3.3 units and mechanics charge $79/hour. Most dealers will quote you 4 units though, they can pad with whatever they like to get $500 plus for the job.

$260.70 plus however much your own parts ordered on line cost.

If they're good and can do it in under 3.3, that's what they'll charge you.

I called each of the Dealers within 30 miles of Bothell and they each quoted the same labor rate except for Campbell Nelson who said they'd do it for $400 p&l.

Two things though, the mech sounded clueless and mentioned that they "really don't see many TDI's with that many miles" and mechs from the other shops would (grudgingly) recommend any other dealership to do the same job EXCEPT C-N VW.

Just my $.02 (plus tip)

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Going through my brief case I found the letter from VW "Preferred Service Headquarters."

The price listed was $199.95 for "most models."

I think I'll tuck it away for when I have put another 40,000 miles on my 2001.

Regarding the clueless mechanic: Did you actually talk to mechanics or service writers? My experience over many years and many different service facilities is that you seldom talk to an actual mechanic over the phone, at least on the initial call.

The person on the phone may not reflect the overall quality of the people doing the actual wrenching.

Good luck and please let us know who you go with and how it went.

jayhawk

Veteran Member
Midland Auto Service is great.. They do excellent work for a great price! I had my 2000 TDI done there.....the timing belt, tensioner, and fuel filter. For less than half of what some dealers wanted!

One week after they did the work, I drove it 1800 miles in 4 days and had NO problems!