Jetta dies young at 126,000KM ... UPDATED PICS BIG

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
I hope everyone involved is okay. What happened? Was it on your way into the city? Is the insurance giving you a fair price - I know that you have high mileage because of your commute. Keep us posted as to your replacement plans.

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
Wow! Glad to hear (assume) nobody hurt. I was looking forward to meeting in Barrie to see that stereo but how about we get together so you can show off your new one.

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
Yep, I am now TDIless, and my poor TDI is in the wrecking yard after a serious rollover accident.

R.I.P. my beautiful TDI

P.S. Here are some pics.

[ September 12, 2002, 09:33: Message edited by: tdi_veedub ]

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
Hi tdi_veedub,
- Sorry to hear of your loss.
- I assume that the occupants were not seriously harmed. If they are safe, then the car did its job well.
- Were you able to pull your sound system?
- Now you will need to find another. What are you going to get this time?

Nitejav

Veteran Member
TDI
NiteJav
I hope you and your passengers or anyone else involved is okay...

Sorry to read you lost your ride...

How exactly did you roll your Jetta TDI?

Future TDI Plans?

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Sorry to hear about the accident and your loss. Since you are able to write on the forum, we can assume the car did it's job (and admirably at that judging from the pictures) and kept you from serious injury, or WORSE!

Hope it all works out for you and you get another TDI soon.

Kubla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi Q5
I hope everyone is OK
not sure about Canada but down here the stereo, if aftermarket, comes under the catagory of personal belongings and they have to let you take it out which you should do ASAP so the underpaid junk yard guys don't steal it

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI
Glad to hear you escaped unharmed. Was it on the 400? Actually, the damage doesn't look that bad, imagine what would have happened to an Explorer with its poor roof crush resistance.

valois

Banned
And the vultures decend.
Hope you and your family are all right. I hope the insurance company treats you right as well.

flair.14

Veteran Member
TDI
02 black Bora
OUCH. Sorry to hear what happened. Those pictures are BRUTAL
I remember seeing that car a few months ago at a gathering and now it is sad to see it all smashed up. Good luck with the insurance company and I hope you score a nice new TDI.

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
Well, it doesn't look good right now. The insurance company is trying to lowball me, meaning I will still owe VW almost $3000.00 once they pay up (if I accept, which I won't).

Again, I get screwed by insurance companies

Their excuse is that the high KM on the vehicle is lowering the market value.

famous

Veteran Member
If they're trying to lowball you on the payout,due to the high mileage,then presumably,the higher the mileage,the less your car is worth,and the LOWER YOUR PREMIUMS should be.
RIGHT ?????

**DONOTDELETE**

That's really rough, Darrin, I hope you get it sorted out soon. Any car accident is a pain in the ass, and the insurance companies are leeches.

mk3dub

Darrin whats up, Luke here. Thats pretty ****ty, Rodney just told me about his crash and yours. Hope you OK, and you get a new dub soon enough, stay away from that diesel crap (j/k)...pictures look damn scary. Too bad you didnt grab the shifter and boot, I could have used that.
Later,
Luke

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Originally posted by tdi_veedub:
Well, it doesn't look good right now. The insurance company is trying to lowball me, meaning I will still owe VW almost $3000.00 once they pay up (if I accept, which I won't).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ask to see the documentation on how they arrived at the price. It should list some "comparable" cars for sale in your area, with adjustments for options, etc.. (BTW, what you owe has no bearing on what a proper settlement should be.)

What could be a problem is that TDIs are rare, and there may not be any for sale, so they may use gassers as "comparables" and fail to make a sufficient adjustment for a TDI.

[ October 11, 2002, 09:22: Message edited by: tjl ]

deezeljuice

Veteran Member
tjl is right on. I just (and I mean just)went through this with an accident my son had in a 1.8t jetta. The insurance company lowballed me by about $2k. This went on for about 5 weeks and I called an attorney. He told me to ask to see the documentation for the basis of the price. My car was 1 week old a the time of the accident. I asked for and got the price basis and sure enough, they had left off the cost of the leather interior, the monsoon stereo and the sport package. About $2k more, even considering they only paid 50 cents on the dollar for the extras. This was after some rude jerk adamantly told me the valuation was fair and this was their 'final' offer. After I pointed out the items they had left out, they quickly upped their offer and we settled.
Demand the backup and review it carefully.

saabguru

Veteran Member
Glad to hear you're OK. Was the wreck your fault? This seems to be a factor in the settlement amount. I MADE $1,500 on my wrecked Jetta TDi, (other driver's fault). I had an offset frontal collision, the most common type, the airbags deployed and worked as advertized, also totaling the car (due to the $3,000 replacement cost).

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
One other thing to note: a "fair" insurance settlement on a total loss should add tax and license expense to the replacement cost of the car (license may be pro-rated by the amount remaining on the total loss car).

Remember also that valuation of replacement cost is very dependent on the used car market in your area. Cosmetic condition and odometer mileage tend to count for more than mechanical condition in most used car markets. Good cosmetics, low mileage, and poor mechanicals may be overvalued, while high mileage with good mechanicals may be undervalued.

BGUERIN

Veteran Member
I had an experience like this and the insurance totalled the car and were giving me peanuts. I asked them to find me a replacement car as good a shape as mine with the money they were giving me.Of course they could not.The way they figure a price is of course all the depeaciation **** and also what they can sell the car for for parts. It was advantagious for me to buy the car at the same price they would have paid the wreckers minus the money they gave me. Ask them what the buy out would be for you to purchase the car from the insurance . You may be able to sell it yourself for parts and with the settlement come out ahead. I may be interested in a few parts But not the MAF

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
That car is messed up. what a shame. Get from the insurance company what you can. They try to screw you every time.--Steve

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by tdi_veedub:

Again, I get screwed by insurance companies

Their excuse is that the high KM on the vehicle is lowering the market value.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can't speak for Canadian laws, but here in the US, if you wreck your car and it's considered a total loss (totalled) you will only get what the Blue Book amount is. If you owe more than the car is worth it's your responsibility to pay the balance of the loan.

For example, I owe $15k on my Passat. Blue Book value is at most $14k. So if she were to get totalled today, I'd still owe the bank $1000. Because the insurance company will only give me Blue Book value.

**DONOTDELETE**

It is the same, but a vehicle with high km is appraised at a lower value than average, anything to give you less money.

Kubla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi Q5
Is that blue book retail or blue book wholesale and which book value are thay using, Kelly or NADA? Makes a big difference and one you can argue over since they are using the highest retail value to figure your premiums

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by je:
It is the same, but a vehicle with high km is appraised at a lower value than average, anything to give you less money.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But that's what I'm talking about. The Blue Book Retail value takes your mileage into account when calculating the price.

First they take the retail price. Then they add money it if the mileage is lower than average. Or take away money if the mileage is higher than average. Like it or not, that's the way it is and there's not much you can do about it except take them to court. But then you'll end up spending even more money on lawyers fees and other legal fees.