rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I doubt you need either. Boosters are such a rare failure item they're not sold in the aftermarket, AFAIK. and I'd bet the sinking pedal is either a bad brake booster hose or a leaking brake hose. I chased this problem in my Golf including replacing the master only finally finding a small drip of brake fluid under the car after a track session. Pumping up the brakes at 100 MPH at the end of a straight isn't fun.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I doubt you need either. Boosters are such a rare failure item they're not sold in the aftermarket, AFAIK. and I'd bet the sinking pedal is either a bad brake booster hose or a leaking brake hose.
I checked the brake lines and connections, both the brake and clutch master cylinders, etc., and I found no leaks at all. I changed the brake booster hose this past year, but I suppose I could have gotten a "bad" new one. Incidentally, the brake pedal didn't slowly sink toward the floor today, even though my car has sat idle since Saturday afternoon until now.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Springtime Means Washing, Polishing, Detailing, and a little Loving

I spent the afternoon washing, polishing, and taking a few photos of my Jetta TDI as she presently looks. Cosmetic changes since last time I posted photos include a painted GLI front valence to accommodate the front mounted intercooler and its piping and better Euro-spec headlights. The projector-style lights I put on a couple of years ago looked nice, but were awful while driving at night. I also had the rear, lower valence painted to match the front. Actually, Post Nr. 638 shows the front of my TDI, but that was in the winter.

There are no more anticipated cosmetic changes in the future, mainly because I'm done throwing $$$ at this car beyond maintenance and repairs. In fact, I haven't worked on my car besides detailing since last year. I still have to install the Wavetrac limited slip differential that I bought late last year into the tranny, but there's another priority I've committed to finish before anymore car stuff. Namely, I've got to get that dining table I've been working on for the past four years completed before Thanksgiving, though hopefully sooner, or the my overly patient wife will not be happy.

Hope this quick note finds you all well.

Last edited:

DCdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
The car looks great! I think the lights look a lot nicer now. They don't distract from the otherwise clean lines like before.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Love the pics! Good job keeping her up to date and clean!
Thanks, blacksheep. You've always been a good supporter of the things I've done to my TDI. I try to keep all our vehicles in tiptop shape inside and outside.

The car looks great! I think the lights look a lot nicer now. They don't distract from the otherwise clean lines like before.
Hmm... I never thought about that. Now that you've pointed that out, I think you're right.

Last edited:

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Car looks amazing Rocket. Keep up the maintenance now so that you may enjoy your hard work for many more years to come. And I understand about the understanding wife, keep mama happy cause you know what they say...

If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Thank you sir. I have read this thread several times and every once in a while I forget stuff.

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Thanks, blacksheep. You've always been a good supporter of the things I've done to my TDI. I try to keep all our vehicles in tiptop shape inside and outside.

Im glad ur thread post continue to stay alive. I really like what you have done to the car and it inspires lots of others. Keep it up, it never gets old!

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
Im glad ur thread post continue to stay alive. I really like what you have done to the car and it inspires lots of others. Keep it up, it never gets old!

+1, Rocketeer and StealthTDI's threads are my favourites on here, keep up the good work and keep updating.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
+1, Rocketeer and StealthTDI's threads are my favourites on here, keep up the good work and keep updating.
To be in the same league as StealthTDI is an honor.

Looking great. But can you really call it done without sideskirts to match the new front valence!?!? :D
Will never, ever happen, as I don't like the look. Sorry.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
It's a common comment on vortex for people who run big front lips with no side skirts (perhaps more typical for the giant reiger valence). The thing hangs down 2 inches lower then the side of the car...

Don't get me wrong, I think the car looks great. But it also looks somewhat unfinished with only the front 1/3 of a valence/skirt/body kit. Anyway, I'll shut up now and quit cluttering your thread.

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDi, 1981 Chevrolet LUV Diesel! Non-turbo :(
I was following this thread for awhile, but have not been on here in some time. Could you tell me about your LED taillights? Are they fully LED (signals, etc.) besides reverse? And where did you find them? Love your car man.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
The LED taillights can be found at ECS Tuning. I bought clear (reverse lights) and amber LED lights from SuperBrightLEDs , as well as resistors that I soldered in for the turn signals and brake lights

Without the resistors on the turn signal wiring they will flash wildly, as if a bulb is blown. Without the resistors on the brake wiring they will continuously glow dim and cause your glowplug light on your instrument cluster to stay on or flash (I can't remember which). I have a regular bulb in the two rear fog lamps, but that's only because I haven't bought red LEDs yet. Also, you need the wiring and Euro Switch to activate the rear fog lamps, which you can also get from ECS Tuning.

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDi, 1981 Chevrolet LUV Diesel! Non-turbo :(
The LED taillights can be found at ECS Tuning. I bought clear (reverse lights) and amber LED lights from SuperBrightLEDs , as well as resistors that I soldered in for the turn signals and brake lights

Without the resistors on the turn signal wiring they will flash wildly, as if a bulb is blown. Without the resistors on the brake wiring they will continuously glow dim and cause your glowplug light on your instrument cluster to stay on or flash (I can't remember which). I have a regular bulb in the two rear fog lamps, but that's only because I haven't bought red LEDs yet. Also, you need the wiring and Euro Switch to activate the rear fog lamps, which you can also get from ECS Tuning.
Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply!

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
what's vwvortex ;) i love the clean details of the car.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to the Ho5G GTG this Saturday, but I won't be bringing my TDI. I'm coming with my good friend n8ronJ who has the exact same Jetta as mine, including platinum gray. It even has some of my previous mods on it, including gently used PP520 injectors, OMI intake, and Dieselgeek racepipe, which I sold to him and helped install.

n8ronJ will be finally getting his first RocketChip tune, and I'm looking forward to the smile on his face after the tune.

n8ronJ and I actually grew up in the same area and went to the same high school in western New York, though a few years apart from one another. I didn't know him while growing up, but met via TDI Club and this thread. We have much in common, including being brothers in Christ Jesus.

Last edited: