2014 Passat TDI SE problems already....

PJDTMDTDI

TDI
14 B7 TDI
I traded my 2013 Accord Sport 6 Speed in for a 2014 TDI SE DSG. My wife hated the Accord mostly because of the manual. I thought it was a good car. It was fun to drive and reminded me a lot of my BMW E46 in terms of driving dynamics. I must say the Passat is on par with the Accord in terms of driving dynamics. I would give the edge to the Accord in terms os sportiness. I do like the Passat but 500 miles in and I'm bringing it in for a problem. I'm getting a squeaking rubbing noise under light on/off throttle inputs. Sounds like something is rubbing on the firewall. Anyone else experience anything similar. I took the belly pan off and looked around but could not see anything. I hope its not related to the DSG. kind of disappointed that I am already having an issue. This isn't my first go around with VW's. I guess I did not learn my lesson.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
One squeaking rubbing noise and you're already second-guessing the car? Patience.
FYI, your car is an NMS, not a B7. B7 is a different car.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
You bought a Volkswagen...rattles and squeaks are to be expected.

Hope the rattle kit fixes it and that's the end of your problems.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...hmmm...72k on my 09 JSW a nary a rattle/squeak...ditto for my 39k Passat...

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
'12 SE TDI w/DSG and sunroof: no rattles, no squeaks, no error codes, just good mileage and happy traveling :) :D

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Perfect '13 NMS here as well, except the dash popping in the heat. Honda and Toyota reliability are in a class of there own, a boring cookie cutter class but pretty darn reliable. I have yet to have any repairs, not even a fuel filter in my 24 year old Toyota truck @ 250K
I have choose to buy the VW Passat for the following reasons over another Honda or Toyota. 1. I respect VW for bringing a diesel to the USA 2. I hate how torque converters rob power, and love the DSG 3. VCDS tricks 4. not everyone has one

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PJDTMDTDI: Hopefully you'll find it's a misalignment of a plastic cover or some such part.

If you've had the frequent freeze/thaw weather conditions that we've had in the DC region, don't be surprised if there are random creaking/crunching noises outside the cabin. My JSW makes some scary sounds after a thaw/freeze scenario, because of any water that has frozen in the door/sunroof seals. My 87 Audi 4000S used to do the same thing, until all the water dried up.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I think he's hearing the infamous nms flutter when quickly letting off the accelerator. It's normal. No one knows what it is but it's normal. I guarantee vw will do nothing but waste your time if you go in for that.

R4074

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon
I am at ~43k mi. not really any squeaks but a number of issues that will keep me from buying another VW, I know they are sister companies however I had far better luck with Audi and likely what I will be jumping to soon as I am leaning towards ending my Passat experiment. I had hoped to keep this car 150k mi. like I normally do, I just don't know that I can deal with the little issues that keep popping up.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I think he's hearing the infamous nms flutter when quickly letting off the accelerator. It's normal. No one knows what it is but it's normal. I guarantee vw will do nothing but waste your time if you go in for that.
It's the engine trying to get rid of the turbo boost that suddenly has no place to go. My F350 PSD did the same thing, but even more noticeable.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
...hmmm...72k on my 09 JSW a nary a rattle/squeak...ditto for my 39k Passat...
'12 SE TDI w/DSG and sunroof: no rattles, no squeaks, no error codes, just good mileage and happy traveling :) :D
Perfect '13 NMS here as well, except the dash popping in the heat. Honda and Toyota reliability are in a class of there own, a boring cookie cutter class but pretty darn reliable. I have yet to have any repairs, not even a fuel filter in my 24 year old Toyota truck @ 250K
I have choose to buy the VW Passat for the following reasons over another Honda or Toyota. 1. I respect VW for bringing a diesel to the USA 2. I hate how torque converters rob power, and love the DSG 3. VCDS tricks 4. not everyone has one
I'm glad for you guys. Based on your locations, I'm going to agree with one of the above poster's thought that it probably has to do with local climates.

My Jetta has had two horrible rattles fixed within the first 15k miles (center vent and sunroof console). And in the last 3-5k miles (at 60k now) has developed something in the passenger door.

And my Passat has had the infamous subwoofer rattle (fixed at ~3k miles) and has recently developed something in the driver door.