Silver/Black 2003 Golf TDI PD

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
Here is my Golf, it's totally stock AT THE MOMENT! I'm thinking of getting UPsoluted....I have had it around 5 weeks now, I love the awesome torque and economy, absolutely fantastic car. I drove a 2001 Honda Civic before this and I am never going back to petrol as long as I can help it!
The cars in the background belong to my parents just incase you are wondering, and the benz is an E320 CDI (my mother has the right idea about fuel type aswell as me
) Sorry for the size of these pics, it's ridiculous but it's the best I can do.

[ October 28, 2002, 08:13: Message edited by: BenjaminTDIPD ]

AutobahnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
no more TDI :(
I have a question about your headlight switch. You only have a position for a rear foglight and not front foglights, right? I want to get one of these switches because cars sold in the US don't come from the factory with a rear foglight. Is there anyway you could find the part number of that headlight switch? It can be removed easily by pushing in and turning to the right. thanks

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
robgti: Yes you're right in thinking the headlight switch only has a switch for rear foglights, i'll have a look tomorrow and see if i can find the part #.

carma

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf TDI
hi wats up

u have the 150hp tdi pd right!

if it is in fact, why do u want to upgrade?
if u dont mind me asking

by the way the car looks great, take care of it.

carma

carma

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf TDI
not disapointed, i own a 90hp and i enjoy it plenty, hope that u enjoy urs.

its just that i saw on ur pics the red "d" and "i"
which i was told that means 150hp

go ahead modify and enjoy

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
The 150hp got a GTI badge with a red I, the 100hp and 130hp versions got the silver T and a red D and I
even the Polo's 1.4 TDI 75hp over here carries a red D and I - I think it's just to show it's a PD

AutobahnTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
no more TDI :(
Originally posted by BenjaminTDIPD:
robgti: i tried to pull out the switch today, it won't come out as you described, i don't wanna force it, sorry i can't help

check www.westernvolkswagen.co.uk - i think they can give you info on parts that are on UK models.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for trying. It's a rare part here, but I've got a few leads on one. It's not very common here because there are very few people who want a rear foglight but no front foglights. I don't know why VW doesn't spend a few extra cents to add this safety feature on cars sold in the US.

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
well it's weird that in the US you don't have rear fogs as standard
because i think that all cars here MUST have at least one rear fog light - the front fog lights come standard on some models (GT TDI, GTI, V5, V6, R32) but if you want front fogs on an E, S or SE (i have the SE) you have to get the winter pack which includes heated seats, front fog lights and heated washer jets.

[ October 31, 2002, 08:52: Message edited by: BenjaminTDIPD ]

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Hey, your steering wheel is on the wrong side!

;-)

I wish we could get the MB CDI's here in the USA. Currently MB sells NO diesel models here. In case you Europeans don't know how lucky you are... the 90hp VW engine is the ONLY diesel passenger car engine available in this country.

-McBrew

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
I don't know how you guys manage with all those petrol cars, before mercedes released the CDI here about 3 years ago we had the 3.2 V6 petrol and it was crap compared to the diesel 3.2, the diesel has 197bhp and 347lbs/ft whereas the petrol E320 had 221bhp and 230lbs/ft
and oh how thirsty it was.

newflyer22

Veteran Member
TDI
(former) 2003 Golf GL TDI Reflex Silver/ Black
Since our petrol is so inexpensive compared to the rest of the world, people here in the US will continue to buy petrol-fueled cars and trucks. We are very fortunate that VW offers us what we have. It sounds very promising that we will be rewarded with new TDI engines and maybe in more vehicle offerings. I don't think the other car manufacturers will allow VW to have a diesel monopoly in the US for too much longer. I realize that many claim they are waiting for 2006's more stringent laws with regard to low-sulphur diesel. I hope it's true, because I am extremely jealous of all the choices you have in Europe! That is why I drool every time I look at my next issues of Volkswagen Driver, The Golf, and Car magazines. Although they focus on European models, it gives me a little hope we might see some of those cars in the future!

newflyer22

Veteran Member
TDI
Benjamin, could you be so kind to explain to me about British number plates. When I am reading magazines from the UK, they often refer to registration letters of license, or number plates. I also see these referenced in classified ads in the back of the magazines. Might you tell me what kind of information these letter/number combinations hold? I just like to be an informed reader and I am very curious. Thank you! By the way, I love the pics of your car. I love to see the interior pics of a right-hand drive model, too. Our Golfs are very similar despite the obvious geographical differences. Where was yours built?

[ October 31, 2002, 19:29: Message edited by: newflyer22 ]

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
First of all the letters on the front of the registration plate used to signify the
year of the car - every year, (1st September) there would be a new registration letter
out, it went from A to Y (don't know why they missed out Z) but they missed out I and
O too because they looked too much like 1's and 0's. These were called prefix registrations,
(prefix registration example: A123 ABC) (The last two letters would show where the car
was registered i.e which town/county).

When they ran out of letters (i.e got all the way up to Y)
they introduced suffix registrations, what would happen then is that the letter
signifying the year of the car would be on the end of the plate instead of the front of it
for example the plate i mentioned above would read 'ABC 123A', so they went through
a long period of swapping to and from prefix and suffix registrations, the last
'batch' of prefix registrations ran early in the 1980s through to 2000 when they
decided to register cars in periods of 6 months rather than every year for various
different reasons. They were also approaching the end of the alphabet again,
they were on T when they changed it over to 6 month periods i believe.

They decided not to continue with the prefix/suffix registration plates anymore,
so they introduced a new scheme which started on the 1st September 2001 where
all plates would be the following format: First two letters was where the car
was registered, second two letters would show the period/year the car was registered
and the last three letters would just be random, I, O and Z are included in the
new registration format. September 2001 was '51' the 5 showed that it
was the second period of registration in that year and the 1 stood for '01, cars
registered in March 2002 would be '02 (the 0 shows that it was the first period of
registration in that year) and cars registered in September 2002 are '52 reg, which
is what i have. (KY indicates where it was registered)

Below is a list of the new plate identifiers and when they will be implemented
(they have done them up to 2049 but i don't think we need to go that far
):

Year March September
2001 51
2002 02 52
2003 03 53
2004 04 54
2005 05 55
2006 06 56
2007 07 57
2008 08 58
2009 09 59
2010 10 60

Hope this helped - Ben

[ November 01, 2002, 07:05: Message edited by: BenjaminTDIPD ]

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
Also that's a good point you raised about how cheap the petrol is in the states - over here petrol is currently at 74.9pence per litre (£3.40 per UK gallon) which is about..$5.40 a gallon i think. How much is it for a gallon over there at the moment? I can remember when i was over there a $20 bill would see alot of fuel in the tank
Diesel is currently at 75.9pence per litre at the station i use btw. The duty that our government adds to fuel is absolutely ridiculous, although I understand it's pretty much the same story across europe.

newflyer22

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you very much for the information on number plates and registration. It really makes more sense to me now. Gas or petrol in the US varies greatly even from station to station in the same city. For example, I am on a business trip right now in the same state I live in. The fuel here is less expensive than where I live. At the station across from my hotel, regular unleaded is $1.24/gallon or .82pence/gal. Mid-grade unleaded is $1.34/gal or .89pence/gal. Premium unleaded is $1.44/gal or .95pence/gal. I just fueled up at another station last Monday for $1.45/ gal. for diesel. It ended up taking 14.5 gallons as I vented the tank and got every bit of fuel I could in the tank. The total was approximately $22.00 or 14.63 pounds. I really hope I can come over soon and see all of the offerings we can't get here in diesel and otherwise. Thanks again!

Futureman

Veteran Member
Anyone else notice that he has the same cluster as the US version? I wonder why that is? I have seen a different-looking Euro-Cluster before. I would say that it is because the UK like the US needs MPH and KPH on the same gage, but the other cluster (the one we don't get here in the US) has them both too. hmm.

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
newflyer22: thanks for your info, damn you have such cheap fuel
last tank i filled up with cost me ~£42 without venting

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
Originally posted by BenjaminTDIPD:
.....you have such cheap fuel
last tank i filled up with cost me ~£42 without venting
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, but our Insurance here costs a bloody fortune!

Mine is about twice what I was paying in the UK, even with all the discounts. You see, we have to finance all the 17-year olds who drive Mummy's evil-handling SUV with its 5-litre engine, and then rolls it, usually killing several people in the process.

- Richard

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
i thought the UK was the most expensive with insurance, i am 18 years old and the car costs me almost 4 thousand pounds to insure fully comp