www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old August 18th, 2019, 18:31   #61
jmodge
Veteran Member

Caught something on TV about tax breaks being deleted and registration fees going up on EV’s to make up for missing fuel tax revenue
Old August 19th, 2019, 11:20   #62
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but I heard from somewhat reliable sources, that part of the legal settlement between Volkswagen and various government agencies was they were NOT to sell diesels in US anymore.

I have not gone over the court settlement to verify these claims, but trust the source enough to take their word for it. Besides, it tracks with the powers that be and their opinions of diesels (in govn't not VW).

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 11:27   #63
tdi54
Veteran Member

May be off topic but I see more than my share of Tesla's on southern california freeways. However, many of which are with open windows on hot california days; perhaps they prefer getting baked under the excruciating sun so that they do not sacrifice the meager amount of distance their EV's can cover.?? I don't know, but I can say, while they seemingly are suffering (and breathing highly polluted air), I pass by them with my 600+ per tank Jetta effortlessly with the comfort of ice cold ac.

Last edited by tdi54; August 19th, 2019 at 11:34.
tdi54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 12:03   #64
casioqv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi54 View Post
perhaps they prefer getting baked under the excruciating sun so that they do not sacrifice the meager amount of distance their EV's can cover.??.

I doubt it- running the A/C drops the range about 10-15%, so pretty much any Tesla will still have 200-300 miles of range with the A/C blasting. There's plenty of regular gasoline cars on the market that have under 350 miles range with a full tank, and they don't get charged to full every night...

In my e-Golf I've only done that once or twice when we forgot to plug it in to charge the night before, so I didn't have my usual buffer of having twice the range needed for the trip I am taking.

Last edited by casioqv; August 19th, 2019 at 12:07.
casioqv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 23:01   #65
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi54 View Post
(and breathing highly polluted air)
Oh yea, the air inside a car with the windows rolled up is totally clean air, it is nothing like the air outside the car.

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 01:52   #66
vwxyzero
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
Oh yea, the air inside a car with the windows rolled up is totally clean air, it is nothing like the air outside the car.
LOL

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
vwxyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 04:23   #67
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You'd think Tesla owners would want to smell their own farts anyway.

(reference to a South Park episode, for those that don't get it)

I have no "hatred" of anything, I am just tired of listening to it here on a diesel website, aside from threads specifically placed for that topic. Once nwdriver posts, in ANY thread, it becomes a shill for EVs and how the planet is going to implode, and we are all idiots, yada-yada-yada. He just cannot grasp anything outside of his own little pie in the sky world. I choose to think that we TDI owners are actually far more "green" than a lot of other Americans, and we shouldn't be beat up on because we have chosen to drive a 50 MPG car instead of a 15 MPG car as being "not enough". I think taking care of something old(er), and efficient, is the ultimate recycling. And if it works for me, and others, then so be it. To each his own.

Last edited by oilhammer; August 20th, 2019 at 04:28.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 06:07   #68
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I think taking care of something old(er), and efficient, is the ultimate recycling.
Our a superior way of being "green." Few take the raw materials and energy that it takes to fabricate and assemble a car into consideration when totaling the car's carbon footprint. Or disposal, for that matter.

I maintain that driving my Jetta half a million miles is far more ecologically sound than changing cars every three years, or even driving an EV for 10 years but ending up with a something that's only eligible for a scrap yard.
Old August 20th, 2019, 07:29   #69
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
I'm with IBW that EVs are not carrying their share of the "road tax" burden, since that's levied through purchase of fuels they don't use. This is likely to become a LOT more interesting when the all-electric tractor-trailer cabs start appearing on the roads, since diesel tractor-trailers buy a LOT of fuel. There's been no real discussion about how to account for the "gas tax" revenue lost to EVs, other than some hare-brained silliness about GPS trackers being forced on the owners, and it needs to start happening SOON.
In most states, the taxes collected from fuel sales account for less than half of the needs for infrastructure support. The remaining needs are mostly made up from property taxes or in some cases special sales taxes. So the people we ought to be going after to get more tax dollars are the apartment renters. E-vehicles don't make enough of a ripple in the pond yet to matter to the fuel tax issue.

I'm a few days late to this thread so if my post is a repeat of what others have already said, I'm sorry.
Old August 20th, 2019, 07:40   #70
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Apartment renters indirectly pay property tax, FWIW - the building owners pay it, and will therefore pass it on to renters in the form of increased rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton Sinclair
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 07:45   #71
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Apartment renters indirectly pay property tax, FWIW - the building owners pay it, and will therefore pass it on to renters in the form of increased rent.
Exactly
Old August 20th, 2019, 09:19   #72
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
In most states, the taxes collected from fuel sales account for less than half of the needs for infrastructure support. The remaining needs are mostly made up from property taxes or in some cases special sales taxes. So the people we ought to be going after to get more tax dollars are the apartment renters. E-vehicles don't make enough of a ripple in the pond yet to matter to the fuel tax issue.

I'm a few days late to this thread so if my post is a repeat of what others have already said, I'm sorry.
If the infrastructure is underfunded then the fuel tax intended to pay for it should be raised.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 10:47   #73
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

EV's might make sense - strictly around town. Out here on the great Plains - a drive to anywhere that I need to go is at least 200 miles. I can easily go there AND back in my 2000 TDI Beetle - I prefer to refill my 2015 Golf when leaving so I don't have to fill up on the way home.

I get so many miles per tank (over 600) and drive my Beetle so little right now that I have to start thinking about winter fuel NOW - in the middle of August. I'd imagine that after my next tank, I'll think about putting PowerService white in about the middle of November (along with topping off the tank) and that will take me to Febuary. We drive the Golf more than that - but I still get 400 mile tanks on it.

EV's aren't paying their way on the transportation infrastructure of this country yet. It will be worse if the tractors for 18 wheelers start to be electric. I can see a combination of the GPS trackers for EVs AND separately metered charging stations to recover the true costs of EVs.

Part of the Infrastructure problem is that politicians keep taking money out of the vehicle taxes to use elsewhere.

And if electric drive is really so superior (I kind of doubt this), why don't large trucks adopt the same model as railroad engines - the petro motor is used to generate electricity that drives the wheels ?
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 11:23   #74
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but I heard from somewhat reliable sources, that part of the legal settlement between Volkswagen and various government agencies was they were NOT to sell diesels in US anymore.

I have not gone over the court settlement to verify these claims, but trust the source enough to take their word for it. Besides, it tracks with the powers that be and their opinions of diesels (in govn't not VW).

Jason
I have read most of the settlement, it in no way bars VW from selling diesels ever again, they just can't sell cheating diesels. The other part of the settlement was a required investment in developing not only EVs but also helping implement EV charging infrastructure as part of the penance... and there was a very large dollar figure attached to the required investment... Whole lotta zeros.

But it in no way states they can never sell new diesels again... anywhere. Just that any new diesels would have to go through the more stringent on road evaluation in order to get certification, which every diesel has had to do since the scandal now anyway...
Old August 20th, 2019, 12:25   #75
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Yes, but at a lower tax rate than the average home owner. At least in the areas that I've both owned a home and rented an apartment.