Tune-up.. 600.00 what?

alfanets

Please help.

My warranty will expire at 40,000 miles
and I was told my tune up will cost 600.00
from the dealer. I have yet to find someone locally that can tune it up for me.

The dealership is telling me the filters are very expensive and this is why its so expensive.
So now Im thinking is it worth to keep my car which I love. or am I gonna have to spend 600 bucks every 20,000 miles ... I appreciate any suggestions.

[ April 18, 2002, 11:35: Message edited by: alfanets ]

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If this is the scheduled replacement of the timing belt then it's about right. Get them to install the updated part numbers for a 2002 model, both the belt and the tensioner, then you only need to do the replacement every 80,000 miles. They won't warranty this but if the warranty is up soon anyway, so what.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
What car do you have? 40,000 is the timing belt maintenance interval for some older TDI's and if this is you, $600 is high but typical. Here are the material costs for you from Impex:

Oil filter $6
Fuel filter $30
Cabin filter $19
Timing Belt $63
Timing Belt Tensioner $78
Serpentine $48

And then there is labor... of course you can drive to Hammond Indiana and have Drivbiwire do it for you: seems like his labor charge is around $200..

vwmaniac

TDI
Jetta TDI Silver
Hi there, I go to a town in Ontario Canada to a dealership in Belleville and they charge $399.95/ $400.00 for the belt, tensioner and labour. I priced it in Kingston where I live and the same job is almost $700.00. I know Bellevilles S.M is very competitive and uses only VW parts for this job. He also mentioned something about certain mount bolts that are a stretch type and VW says they should be replaced so be careful to ask whoever does the job to check out the stretch bolt replacement so that you don't have any problems down the road. Good luck.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by alfanets:
I have a 2000 TDI GOLF
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">At 40k miles, you'll get the oil changed, fuel filter changed, air filter changed, pollen filter changed, tires rotated, and Timing Belt replaced IF your car is an automatic. If it's a manual, the Timing Belt will be replaced at 60k miles. It sounds like a lot of money, but it's preventative maintenance, which will save you money in the long run with many years of reliability.

kato258

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL, A/T, flash red; 04 Jetta GL, A/T, wheat beige; 06 Golf GLS, A/T, blue anthracite
i gotta believe there's a tdi network near you who can point you to a reasonable alternative. maybe the upsolute rep in your region could help.

Mark Mellblom

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Golf 2001 TDI Golf
When I bought my 2001 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC I bought the extended warranty coverage for 48000miles, the term of the lease. In that way the 40000 AUTOMATIC timing belt change is covered under the extended warranty along with the 30K oil change and any other gripes. I never have looked at the cost of those extended warranties, but considering it will cover the 40K belt change, I think that in 2001 this was the way to go with the Automatic.

M

mickey

$600 for a timing belt, tensioner, fuel filter, serpantine belt, a nice detail and a tank of fuel...maybe. Even that's pretty steep.

Dealers are crooks.

-mickey

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
In Houston there are only a coupla dealers that anyone in their right mind would have a TB replaced. One is Advantage, which actually botched my wife's 40,000 mile change to the extent that 2 days later the car wouldn't start. For that piece of work we paid $600, which included only the TB, tensioner, and serpentine belt. I had done the oil, fuel, air, and pollen filters myself.

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant
Alfanets,
Contact Harvieux. He can do it for you for a whole lot less. He's in Gardena, CA, SW Los Angeles County area.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Originally posted by alfanets:

So now Im thinking is it worth to keep my car which I love. or am I gonna have to spend 600 bucks every 20,000 miles ... I appreciate any suggestions.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just noticed this. You ain't gonna have to pay $600 every 20,000 miles. The TB change is not a tune-up. The newer TB has been designed for 80,000 miles before replacement. Relaxxxxxxxx!!

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by weedeater:
I have to ask: What extended warranty pays for routine maintenance?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's what I'd like to know. When I bought my TDI, she had a Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. But I wanted a longer warranty. So, for $1500, I bought a warranty that's good for 6yrs/90k miles from the original date of purchace. That equals out to a 4yr/45k mile warranty for me. The warranty is a bumper to bumper, so it does cover a lot of things, including towing. In fact, if I'm stranded 100 miles or more away from home, after 24hrs they'll pay for my hotel and give me a food allowance. But I don't remember any mention of paying for routine maintenance.