Audi A4 Tdi 1.9L diesel 1999 Intermittent Non Start

RayPooley

TDI
Audi A4 tdi 1.9L Diesel 1999
Hello All

I have come across a great post MOGolf made about a decade ago covering the various relays associated with the Tdi.

It took me about two days of looking around on the internet to home in on this post.

This is it. (A flash from the past I know)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2533668&postcount=1

I have an Audi A4 Tdi 1.9L diesel 1999 that has the 219 relay in the plenum chamber under the hood.

The post says that this 219 relay "... also supplies power to the fuel pump relay".

So, both this relay and the fuel pump relay that it supplies power to could be suspect in a case
of non start.

I know where the 219 relay is.

But does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is?

There are only two locations where I can find relays on this car. Under the bonnet in the plenum chamber
and behing the steering column and there aren't that many. Only 6 relays in total.

Problem is I have an intermittent issue when turning the ignition key and the fuel gauge doesn't respond and the car starts,
runs for a few seconds and then dies. This is typical of lack of power to the pump and sender.

When this happens it can happen a couple of times in succession and then it will fire up and everthing works ok for a while.
It has happened 3 times in the past month.

Has anyone had any intermittent issues like this with this 219 relay?

I have had the three relays under the hood out on the bench, which includes the 219, and tested them and they work ok.

But that's the nature of intermittent electrical problems which is why they are so difficult to diagnose.

I am thinking of just replacing it and see how it goes.

If you know where the fuel pump relay is I would appreciate your input.

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

PS. I would post some pics of my relays but I am lot allowed to post attachments.

Last edited:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Many of us are over in North America, so this may be a model that has no U.S. or Canadian equivalent. Have you tried looking for an online shop manual?

RayPooley

TDI
Informative actually. Is it a VE or PD?
try this- VW TDI Search Engine

Tried that before I registered. That's how I came up with MOGolf's post. I figured he might still be around. His last post was pretty recent. Can't really see how you get to "informative". It's like being in a room with 270 people, asking a question and nobody puts their hand up.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It's informative only in that it tells you it's not common knowledge. Free help is worth every pound.
MoGolf is still around, though not as frequently as he once was, yes, he's a legend.
My interweb guesses on your issue is possible faulty ignition switch, but more likely wiring/connects.

RayPooley

TDI
It's informative only in that it tells you it's not common knowledge. Free help is worth every pound.
MoGolf is still around, though not as frequently as he once was, yes, he's a legend.
My interweb guesses on your issue is possible faulty ignition switch, but more likely wiring/connects.

I'm not getting email notifications for some reason. Anyway, ignition switch is definitely on the list but at the bottom given it's the most expensive option. Pulled all the relays. Tested and reseated them. Replaced all the fuses just in case. Checked out the connector to the fuel pump. It only has two spade ternminals on it which are clearly for the power so the sender must be separate. Not looked at that as yet. The problem hasn't manifested itself since I did all that. Maybe reseating everything did the trick. Shall wait and see.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Sounds like the right approach, so many cars this vintage suffer from tiny wire/connector failure. So hopefully, you've fixed the issue!