Stuck fuel shut off solenoid (n109)

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na
Is it worth trying to add a small electric fuel pump to the IV bottle setup? A little 6 to 9 psi solenoid pump with 3/8" fittings. Something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Universal-Electric-Fuel-Pump-With-Installation-Kit-E8012S-/232118508872

Warning if you try to buy one at a parts store they'll want about $50 instead of $10. That's if you can get past the make and model of the of car conversation. :)

Then if it gets it going you could wire it in for a longer term solution.

TBH, I'm not sure this will gain you anything if you're already pulling fuel with the mity-vac. But in general it is easier to push fuel then pull and easier to find a fuel leak under pressure then vacuum.

rcowan

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Wagon TDI, 1999 Eurovan Weekender TDI
KLXD nailed it on the pressure regulator. The retainer was sticking out slightly but everything else looked fine. I pushed the retainer back in and reinstalled it.

I pulled a quart or so of Diesel Kleen through (kept recycling it). Then I had my daughter spin it over with the key while I watched. Fuel didn't even move. I'm letting it soak until tonight but I don't have much hope. I'll repeat the process of pulling vacuum, then spinning the engine over tonight. I think I'll see the same results as last night but it's worth a try. If so, I'll pull the AHU pump and put it on the AFN.

Glenn1179, thanks for the suggestion of an electric pump. It's just time to move on. I want our van back.

rcowan

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Wagon TDI, 1999 Eurovan Weekender TDI
I got the AHU pump on, I pulled fuel through the return line, hooked it back up to the filter and had my son turn the key while I watched under the hood. It fired right up.I need to get VAGCOM out and get everything set correctly but it fired up. I'm so happy to have it running.