Tire Recommendations

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat
Hi all. I’m going to need get new tires on my 02 Jetta soon. Doing research on tirerack I’m thinking continental truecontact. Based on ratings and feedback. I don’t need to worry about winter/snow capabilities as I have a dedicated winter set. Curious what you all have had good luck with.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Are those the kind that are grabby? The name sounds grabby. That would effect fuel efficiency.
I just always go for "grand touring" all-season as long as they don't say CHINA anywhere on them. Going to look into the "fuel efficient" models when the time comes (probably low on the grabby scale).

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
Are those the kind that are grabby? The name sounds grabby. That would effect fuel efficiency.
I just always go for "grand touring" all-season as long as they don't say CHINA anywhere on them. Going to look into the "fuel efficient" models when the time comes (probably low on the grabby scale).

If you look close at the pic: this is their “eco plus technology “. So it’s a mpg friendly tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Honestly there are lots of good tires for various drive habits, all made in North America.
You can't do much better than Tire Rack research. Only pitfall is going to a tire shop with a certain brand/model and having the store switch the model, many have their own branded tires made by the same manufacturers, often inferior.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I still stick with my Michelin tires... but I also started yelling at the kids to get off my lawn... so...

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
I still stick with my Michelin tires... but I also started yelling at the kids to get off my lawn... so...

I love Michelin! However reading on tirerack the continentals scored much better in their wet tests. They do better in customer feedback too. Tirerack said the Michelin (can’t remember the name of tire now) lacked wet traction which is when ya kinda need it. I didn’t look at winter tests/scoring as I have Michelin x-ice for my winter set.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Tire threads will get a lot of personal opinions, even brand loyalty and such. Your choice of a touring class tire will provide a nice quiet ride and all season are almost always the best choice.

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
Tire threads will get a lot of personal opinions, even brand loyalty and such. Your choice of a touring class tire will provide a nice quiet ride and all season are almost always the best choice.

I looked for just a summer tire and they didn’t have one listed on tirerack...since I have winter tires I don’t care about snow traction...but I’m still essentially pushed/forced into a touring class tire.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Believe a summer tire might be in the performance or passenger class. They generally have a lower mileage warranty (don't last as long).

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
Believe a summer tire might be in the performance or passenger class. They generally have a lower mileage warranty (don't last as long).

Yea exactly. That’s what I found in research not on tirerack

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
We have Conti Pure Contacts on both of our TDIs 195/65-15 on the '01 Golf and 205/55-16 on the '15 GSW. Love them. Summer tires on the GSW are Conti Extreme Contact DW and the wagon handles like it is on rails.

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
We have Conti Pure Contacts on both of our TDIs 195/65-15 on the '01 Golf and 205/55-16 on the '15 GSW. Love them. Summer tires on the GSW are Conti Extreme Contact DW and the wagon handles like it is on rails.

Thanks!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I've run 205/60R15 for the past 15 years on my 02 since my factory Goodyears wore out, with no issues.

Just to give you another size option.

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
I've run 205/60R15 for the past 15 years on my 02 since my factory Goodyears wore out, with no issues.

Just to give you another size option.

Ohh thanks! I didn’t think about a 205 fitting. I’ll look and see if that present any other options.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
My understanding is that a 205/60 is the same outer diameter as 195/65, but a shade wider, so gives better corner holding (or so I've been told).

EDIT: confirmed, using a link I found in another thread (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5498926&postcount=3). This is a nifty link for comparing sizes (can even mix P-metric and LT sizing), I think I might just bookmark it.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I have had ExtremeContacts and PureContacts on my last 3 TDI's and I love them both.

With a UTQG rating of 800, they certainly arent "grabby". They are a high mileage and long wearing tire that performs great in wet and dry. I dont have much experience with them in snow.

But so far I have no reason to stray and try another brand when I am so happy with them.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I have the true contacts on my 04 wagon. I've got about 30k on them.
Previously I had 205 60 15 Goodyear tripletred. I definitely noticed more flex on the true contacts. Don't know whether it was the wider foot print or the speed rating. I am still happy with them though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
I'll add my two cents.

Continental PureContact - good tire, noisy, usually around 35,000 they were worn out;
Continental ExtremeContact - very good tire, holds the road good, don't last as long as the PureContact;
Hankook - not impressed, did not last
Kuhmo - not impressed, did not last
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus - running these tires on five of my VWs (and Audi TT) currently, really like these tires, good all around road performance, seem to last much longer than the Continentals.

Eric

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
So I will piggyback on the OP's thread. I'm in need of tires for my MKIV also. I have dedicated winter tires and these will see about 8k miles per year, so a long lasting tire isn't necessary. It will dry rot before it wears out.

Hawkins2015

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta , 00 Jetta
I've had really good luck running Mastercraft MC440's. I heard that they are actually made by Cooper, but I don't know if it's true or not.

I can get them in my area for about $80 a tire, and are rated for I believe 50,000 miles. I replaced my old set when they had about 4/32" tread left at almost 60,000 miles. I now have 40,000+ on this set with about 6/32" left.

They work really well for me and are, in my opinion, better than the Goodyear, BFG and Continentals that I have ran in the past.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited: