Back Up Cam Installation 2013 JSW?

97passat

TDI
97 Passat 266K (RIP little go-cart), 2013 Jetta Sportwagen 48K as of mid 2023
Hello all, I've recently picked up a 2013 JSW 24k w/miles on it. I'm pretty excited and wanted some feedback on what to expect if I wanted to install a backup cam.

Is it bluetooth or is there a hard wire I'd have to run?

If the install requires a hard-wire, I'd say this car is so new... so shinny.. I'd hate to rough it up pretending I knew how to remove panels, etc.

oh, also... I don't have a cam yet. haven't really done the homework on that, as I wanted to see if the cost of install or degree of difficulty made it reasonable to do so.

pmm

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I'd be interested in a solution for this too.
I looked for a bit but all I could find was integration modules for the NAV radios (I have the standard CD changer radio). Or just an outright replacement of the head unit which I didn't want to do.
They also make completely separate rear-view mirror screens that replace your stock mirror. They always look big and cheesy to me though.
I gave up on my search as it's not that big a deal to me plus I expect just about any solution to come close to $500... pretty pricey.

Side note: if you're unsure about taking apart your interior and tapping into wires, then don't do it. The parts will cost a lot more than the cost of paying any ol' MECP Certified tech to install it for you. The back up cam will have to be routed through the interior, through wiring loom and into your hatch (if you want it done nicely); none of that is difficult but you would have to pop some panels, avoid some airbags, and reassemble to look nice. If you don't think you'll do a good job it's probably worth paying someone.

I hope someone has some more product knowledge than me, I'd be interested too if it's not crazy expensive.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
If you have a rns 315/510, rcd 510 you can buy the factory kit complete on ebay for $188. Ihe seller does install if you live in the S.F. bay area. There is fcoding required tho.

Ive also seen a converter that plugs into the above mentioned oem units that will use a rca style aftermarket camera.

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
You can buy the same camera setup for $106 shipped. Only some RCD-510’s have the camera input and the 2013 model didn’t have it.