Is the bew a good engine?

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
A long time ALH owner I bought my 04 with 259k miles on it.
It needed a heater core and suspension work but now at 28xxxx miles it has been dead reliable.
A little smoky on cold starts, and still with the original cam.
It still has the MK4 foibles but I am used to them.
With a VNT 17, tune and EGR delete, it is fast , fun and economical car.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
I replaced the cam on mine at a timing belt change and it cost about an extra $500-600 if I remember. It's not that bad, and you only have to do it once. I'm at 175K and it's running great. I did invest in a VNT17 and a tune when the original BW turbo took a dive, likely from a horrible experience at the dealer several years ago. The tune/turbo combo turned out so great that I went for a better clutch and SMF. That's been the most expensive adventure.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I think have worked on EVERYTHING that is a VW diesel(Except an 8.7l Skoda V-8). I have worked on engines that don't go into cars.

I can honestly say that when you have good maintenance, the right oil, and drive the car the way it is supposed to be driven, the BEW is maybe not on par with the ALH, but in some respects, it's more durable. We do not get a lot of work on the BEW. We get a TON of work on the BRM. It is not just that the BRM has 10 more horsepower, but the way the cam was overloaded.

Probably the one way that the BEW is better than the ALH is that the injectors are very durable. But to upset the WVO crowd, susceptible to failure if using biodiesel. We strongly discourage of any excessive amount of biodiesel n the PD motors.

One of the best vehicle setups is the 2005-6 Jetta Wagon or Golf. They often come with the DSG and that combination is really quite sweet or a 5-speed manual. It's not a barn-burner, but it will work very well for a long time.

If there is any one thing I don't like about the BEW is the split intake port and the 'Sardine Can' EGR cooler. Most of the time, it's a non-issue.

Last edited:

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I think have worked on EVERYTHING that is a VW diesel(Except an 8.7l Skoda V-8). I have worked on engines that don't go into cars.

I can honestly say that when you have good maintenance, the right oil, and drive the car the way it is supposed to be driven, the BEW is maybe not on par with the ALH, but in some respects, it's more durable. We do not get a lot of work on the BEW. We get a TON of work on the BRM. It is not just that the BRM has 10 more horsepower, but the way the cam was overloaded.

Probably the one way that the BEW is better than the ALH is that the injectors are very durable. But to upset the WVO crowd, susceptible to failure if using biodiesel. We strongly discourage of any excessive amount of biodiesel n the PD motors.

One of the best vehicle setups is the 2005-6 Jetta Wagon or Golf. They often come with the DSG and that combination is really quite sweet or a 5-speed manual. It's not a barn-burner, but it will work very well for a long time.

If there is any one thing I don't like about the BEW is the split intake port and the 'Sardine Can' EGR cooler. Most of the time, it's a non-issue.
I thought the DSG, BEW combo only came in the beetles....or am I mistaken?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Mine has the Jatco 09A transmission which has proved to be very reliable and spontaneous. No major problems with the BEW, but I only have 152K miles; bought new in '04.
I do have a Malone stage 1.5 tune with Dynamic EGR and a VNT delete.

rkovacs

TDI
Black 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon
I have so many mods over the years I have forgotten some. I bought my car with 74K miles on it, always used "diesel" 5w-40 oil and my stock cam was totally shot by 160k miles. Replaced it with the Colt 2. Still looks like new at 363k miles now.
I used to run a high concentration of Bio-Diesel (50%) in the car but the injectors do not like it. Had to stop running it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
within the world of these engines, AHU is the best long lasting, ALH is better but more complicated to work on for simple stuff but its nearly bullet proof, BEW is would be a solid gold engine if it was not for cam issues.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
The BEW is an alright engine, the first of the PD engine type(higher injection pressures with more precise timing allowing for better power and lower emissions compared to the ALH). It had cam issues, as does the BRM(found in the 2005.5-2007 Jetta TDI). It's not a "common" problem, it's an inevitable problem. The BRM certainly had it worse off for cam issues than the BEW. So you will run into cam issues with either engine, but if the car had correct oil it's whole life, it will take hundreds of thousands of miles to wear out, but most don't use VW spec oil, so it accelerates wear.
ALH is a clear winner in terms of fuel economy, mod-ability, reliability, and longevity. For power, the ALH was rated for 90hp/155 ft/lbs of torque. BEW at 100hp/177ft/lbs of torque. It's not a huge difference, albeit, slightly noticeable. Another thing to consider, is that the BEW can have injector problems. VW quoted my neighbour $1,000 CAD per injector for his BEW! He found a junker TDI and replaced all 4 for $200. They only had 80k miles on them and 30k down the road with these "new" injectors, they've gone bad again. I've heard similar stories.
To say the ALH is bulletproof, is an understatement. If you know diesel trucks, it's like the 7.3 of powerstrokes. Undoubtedly the most popular and the best diesel put into their cars. The ones that followed certainly declined in reliability and economy.
I'd say, find an ALH and mod it. They are an amazing engine, and they are generally known as the diesel engine that made diesels attractive again in passenger cars.
Great post. Enjoyed reading it.
And I think you're correct, even though it's a large statement, with "[ALH is] the diesel engine that made diesels attractive again in passenger cars." Quite a good point, and I think it's accurate. It certainly wasn't anyone American, Japanese, BMW or even Mercedes.
I think the BEW is as good an engine as the ALH, and I say this having driven at least 100,000 in each one, if not more. Yes, they have cam issues, but none of the ones I've seen or wrenched on have shown any cam wear (as opposed to the BRMs)

I think there is a love for the ALH as being the best of the best - it's a great engine, but I think the BEW loses a few people because it's a bit different.
I think the "bit different" part is valid.
The BEW engine is the best thing ever invented.
How do you really feel? ;)

Always a great post from Frank.
within the world of these engines, AHU is the best long lasting, ALH is better but more complicated to work on for simple stuff but its nearly bullet proof, BEW is would be a solid gold engine if it was not for cam issues.
Good thing the cam issues are somewhat easily fixed, no?

I'm happy to find this thread as I have recently found myself discarding MKVs when window shopping on CL. I previously thought the post ~2003 diesel motors from VW had missed the mark, as most diesel engines did when they had to give up mechanical rotary fuel pumps and turn to computerization. Although my education is limited with diesels, I observed the same thing happen with the Cummins i6 motors. The 12valve guys hail it as the best thing to ever grace the earth. The 24v motors added valves (obviously lol) and electronics to comply with emissions, and was still a pretty good motor. The next Cummins iteration (2003- ~2009) fell short and ran into issues previously unthinkable from what I read. Same with Ford. The legendary 7.3 got replaced with a craptastic 6.0. Trucks with them motors can't hardly be given away on CL.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not sure anyone ever wins in these discussions, but I did want to point out to 2000alhVW that all TDIs are electronically controlled. If I'm not mistaken the '96 Passat TDI was the first drive-by-wire VW sold in North America. The electronic controls are a big part of why the rotary pump TDIs run so well and deliver such excellent fuel economy. They were a huge step forward in all ways from the AAZ engine that preceded them. Truly a breakthrough.

I like PDs, and I would venture the BEW is the best of VW's PD engines. Cam wear is much less likely than on the BRM or BHW. Turbos fail earlier than on ALHs, EGR valves are problematic, the clip connectors on the intercooler piping wear out, and some BEWs don't have replaceable valve cover gaskets (and valve covers cost a lot). But overall it's a good engine. Doesn't deliver the FE that an ALH does, but it is more refined. Injectors are almost impossible to service in North America, too.

But I'd buy one under the right conditions. Probably won't however, because my ALH simply won't die. :)

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I only know the 1.6 na engines in the rabbits and the bew engine. I have the tools and knowledge for those so I stick with them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jasantos40

TDI
g4 tdi
3 PDs, 2 VPs, 1 CR is what I've got so far. Plus all the TDIs that pass by my shop, lots of 1.9/2.0 TDI PD, lots of 1.9 TDI VP, 1.6 TDI CR, etc ...

PDs, what you call BEW, is a good engine, better than a VP, much more torque, more early, internals are more robust, except the camshaft and lifters. Injectores are just a lithe bit less reliable on the PDs.

VPs are more simple, more easier to work, injectors are outside the engine, easy to take off, easy to install, non of that lash out setup like the PDs.

Both good engines. But I go for PDs due to higher torque and more robust piston rods.

jasantos40

TDI
g4 tdi
3 PDs, 2 VPs, 1 CR is what I've got so far. Plus all the TDIs that pass by my shop, lots of 1.9/2.0 TDI PD, lots of 1.9 TDI VP, 1.6 TDI CR, etc ...

PDs, what you call BEW, is a good engine, better than a VP, much more torque, more early, internals are more robust, except the camshaft and lifters. Injectores are just a lithe bit less reliable on the PDs.

VPs are more simple, more easier to work, injectors are outside the engine, easy to take off, easy to install, non of that lash out setup like the PDs.

Both good engines. But I go for PDs due to higher torque and more robust piston rods.

BrBa

TDI
2010 Jetta - so long friend!
Not sure anyone ever wins in these discussions, but I did want to point out to 2000alhVW that all TDIs are electronically controlled. If I'm not mistaken the '96 Passat TDI was the first drive-by-wire VW sold in North America. The electronic controls are a big part of why the rotary pump TDIs run so well and deliver such excellent fuel economy. They were a huge step forward in all ways from the AAZ engine that preceded them. Truly a breakthrough.

I like PDs, and I would venture the BEW is the best of VW's PD engines. Cam wear is much less likely than on the BRM or BHW. Turbos fail earlier than on ALHs, EGR valves are problematic, the clip connectors on the intercooler piping wear out, and some BEWs don't have replaceable valve cover gaskets (and valve covers cost a lot). But overall it's a good engine. Doesn't deliver the FE that an ALH does, but it is more refined. Injectors are almost impossible to service in North America, too.

But I'd buy one under the right conditions. Probably won't however, because my ALH simply won't die. :)
If you were to come across a bone stock BEW with the 09A, are there any mods you would suggest if you were interested in long term reliability?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Depends on what you mean by long term, but a manual swap would be on my list. And inspect the cam and make sure you use a correct 505.01 oil. Otherwise I would maintain it and not tune it too aggressively with the stock turbo. Should be fine.

o2bad455

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI (MkV)
In North America:
BEW 1.9 PD used 038109101R camshaft
BHW 2.0 PD used 038109101AF camshaft
BRM 1.9 PD used 038109101AH camshaft

Consensus is that BEW (R) cam is most durable of the stock cams, but that BRM (AH) and BHW (AF) offer a bit more performance (under the curve). I note that the specific power output for the BHW was highest after accounting for displacement, but no idea if due to cam or boost, etc. Can anyone confirm AH versus AF camshaft performance in a 1.9 and/or area under the curve?

loiceness

TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI (BEW)
So I recently purchased a 2006 Golf that had the engine replaced at some point by a euro-tuners shop. I'm not sure what engine the car had originally, and to be entirely honest I'm not sure what engine the car has now. It's definitely a TDI, but to know if it's an ALH or BEW I would need some clarification.

Lousy picture of the engine but hopefully it can be determined from this, will be getting better photos soon.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
So I recently purchased a 2006 Golf that had the engine replaced at some point by a euro-tuners shop. I'm not sure what engine the car had originally, and to be entirely honest I'm not sure what engine the car has now. It's definitely a TDI, but to know if it's an ALH or BEW I would need some clarification.

Lousy picture of the engine but hopefully it can be determined from this, will be getting better photos soon.
That is a BEW engine.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Ohh okay, unlucky with the ALH dream then haha. Thx
The bew is a pretty good engine overall as well. You'll just need to use 505.01 spec oil and keep an eye on the camshaft. I currently drive a bew and it gets good fuel economy and drives well.

loiceness

TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI (BEW)
The bew is a pretty good engine overall as well. You'll just need to use 505.01 spec oil and keep an eye on the camshaft. I currently drive a bew and it gets good fuel economy and drives well.
505.01 spec is 5W-30? Yeah cam I'll be watching, may replace in the future as this engine has racked up ~320 000km in mileage, so definitely something to think about. The engine came from a 2006 donor Golf, was that a generally better year for PD development? I know they had a rough start with cam wear, or was that just a PD thing throughout the years.

Mozambiquer

TDI
505.01 spec is 5W-30? Yeah cam I'll be watching, may replace in the future as this engine has racked up ~320 000km in mileage, so definitely something to think about. The engine came from a 2006 donor Golf, was that a generally better year for PD development? I know they had a rough start with cam wear, or was that just a PD thing throughout the years.
The bew wasn't as bad as the brm or bhw for cam wear, and running non-505.01 spec oil accelerated the wear. There are several weights that fit in the 505.01 spec, but in general it is 5w40. Liqui-moly, pentosin, and shaeffers are a couple good ones.
I don't recommend replacing the cam unless it actually needs replaced. The best way to know that is by looking at the edges of the cam lobes and inspect for chamfer all the way around..if it is sharp and not chamfered that means its worn.
Franko6 on here has designed a good quality replacement camshaft that is redesigned to wear less. He also modifies the camshaft bearings to help them get oiled better.

loiceness

TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI (BEW)
The bew wasn't as bad as the brm or bhw for cam wear, and running non-505.01 spec oil accelerated the wear. There are several weights that fit in the 505.01 spec, but in general it is 5w40. Liqui-moly, pentosin, and shaeffers are a couple good ones.
I don't recommend replacing the cam unless it actually needs replaced. The best way to know that is by looking at the edges of the cam lobes and inspect for chamfer all the way around..if it is sharp and not chamfered that means its worn.
Franko6 on here has designed a good quality replacement camshaft that is redesigned to wear less. He also modifies the camshaft bearings to help them get oiled better.
Okay cool, will look into that for sure. Thanks again for your help!

Cheers.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I'm not in favor of the EGR system on that BEW engine, particularly the split-port butterfly valving on the intake, but for overall reliability, it has done very well. The cam seems to last longer than the BRM, but even then, I have several PD engines that we have installed replacement cams (usually swapped around 200k miles...) which have exceeded or are approaching 500,000 miles with few issues. The BEW was designed to run. If you keep these engines closer to their initial performance specs, I think even the injectors will last 1,000,000 miles.

Ioiceness, we will be in the shop, regular business hours this week. If you like, either call or email. I'd be happy to offer you an estimate.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I suggest ONLY using 5w40 505.01 spec oil. The camshaft issues are correlated to using 5w30 505.01 , which is what many dealers used.