How does the DSG Golf TDI perform in snow?

MacTechG4

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy, Sol s
TDI
2012 Golf TDI (DSG)
My old MkV Rabbit manual is an utter *BEAST* in the snow, the best snow car I've owned, , I have snow tires mounted on all 4 corners, and I drive conservatively in the snow, the humble little Rabbit loves to shame the bloated "soccer mommy" AWD SUV's with it's snow performance...

how much difference will the DSG make in snow, in the manual I can start off in 2nd gear, and with the TDI engine putting out 240 Torques , I can see wheelspin as a big possibility, and no, traction "control" is not a help, it causes more problems than it solves, I *always* turn it off in the snow, no nannyware for me, thank you (yes, yes, I know, the DSG is also a fairly major bit of nannyware… ;) )

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I think if you drive with the same prowess with winter tires your SportWagen will not let you down. DSG or not. It all depends on what you consider "Beast" my Passat DSG with winter tires has performed admirably.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Oh you have nothing to worry about. DSG is well balanced with engine, all you need is to put her on S mode, you are golden. I drove my old 2011 JSW from Florida to Chicago and had a easy time driving in the snow. My best friend loved my old JSW over his 2009 honda civic si with manual. He said its well balanced and felt safer than his car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
But it does affect on what tires you have. Make sure you have good tires for all year around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
More torque is convenient in that you don't have to go fast to achieve/maintain traction in the snow. It's not the DSG so much that matters but the driver. if you're smooth and steady with the two pedals and the transition from one to the other you shouldn't have much to worry about. Like Cali said, proper tire choice is key. The only real difficulty is once stopped on an incline in packed snow/icy conditions, but since the DSG idles higher than a manual gear box and most all your torque is near the bottom end, a very light right foot can get you going again as you ease off the left foot. I know how the East coast can be, I lived in norther VT for 27 years, as long as you're smart you're set.

MacTechG4

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy, Sol s
TDI
2012 Golf TDI (DSG)
I’m definitely going to have snows installed next season, they’re simply worth their weight in gold, no they don’t allow you to break the laws of physics, but they vastly improve grip in snow and ice...

I’ve been recommending mom put snows on her car for *years* now, and she had always said she’s happy with the “all seasons” and saw no need....

Last year she finally had a set installed on her ‘14 Honda CR-V AWD, and she was amazed at the difference it makes, the temptation to say I told you so was irresistible ;)

Heck, she’s even contemplating trading the CR-V towards a TDI of some sort, the fuel mileage and CPO warranty are seriously tempting her, but since her CR-V is paid for, low miles on the odo, and utterly reliable, I told her there’s no logical reason to trade it in, just drive the wheels off it, it’s a good vehicle and pretty much indestructible

She’s seriously tempted by the TDI fuel mileage though, mid 20’s from the CR-V are annoying, and since VW isn’t likely to bring new TDIs back to the US market, and they’ll only get rarer to find with low miles....