How do I duplicate transponder data to spare keys for 04 Jetta w/o killing originals?

xMiXaLx

TDI
2004 Jetta GL
Hi.
Sorry, but I've been unable to find a clear answer regarding this situation...I desire to duplicate the flipkey to my 2004 Jetta, not replace it. I've read that the transponders in my functional original keys are non-rewritable--so in programming 2 additional, new flipkeys as duplicate spares, how do I preserve the functionality of my original keys (simply, by what method may I program the new "spare" keys without obsoleting my old keys.) Maybe I'm misunderstanding--but the process of adapting blank keys to the system clears the system's association with the non-rewritable original key--rendering the original key unable to start the car (but still capable of remote unlock and manual unlock,) correct? So can spares be made through VAG-COM or VAG-TACHO? I have both, along with proper cables. The 2 new flipkeys have been cut properly.
Thank you for your help, and again, sorry if I overlooked a pre-existing answer.
Kind Regards,
xMiXaLx

Last edited:

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Hi.
Sorry, but I've been unable to find a clear answer regarding this situation...I desire to duplicate the flipkey to my 2004 Jetta, not replace it. I've read that the transponders in my functional original keys are non-rewritable--so in programming 2 additional, new flipkeys as duplicate spares, how do I preserve the functionality of my original keys (simply, by what method may I program the new "spare" keys without obsoleting my old keys.) Maybe I'm misunderstanding--but the process of adapting blank keys to the system clears the system's association with the non-rewritable original key--rendering the original key unable to start the car (but still capable of remote unlock and manual unlock,) correct? So can spares be made through VAG-COM or VAG-TACHO? I have both, along with proper cables. The 2 new flipkeys have been cut properly.
Thank you for your help, and again, sorry if I overlooked a pre-existing answer.
Kind Regards,
xMiXaLx
It's been a while since I had to program my key, but I think you can have up to 4 keys programmed. VAG tacho lets you add keys up to the max of 4 without deleting old ones iirc.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Unless you change the cluster the old keys will still work regardless if you add more keys for the immobilzer part.

On the other hand, it is possible to reset the programming for the remote access and have the control module forget the previous keys, but it's also easy to add them back with VCDS should you find them all and do it as a group.

T

xMiXaLx

TDI
2004 Jetta GL
CoolAirVw, Powder Hound, ToxicDoc, and jokila---just wanted to thank each of you for your replies. Your comments were reassuring and provided much relief--I appreciate you all

Kind Regards,

Michael Reinke