Equinox Diesel AWD

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Anyone have any experience with one? Same engine as the Cruze. Not a bad price, $27k.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is already a thread here started on this subject. People seem to like them. Same platform as the Cruze (the new Equinox/Terrain are SMALLER than the previous generation).

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
There is already a thread here started on this subject. People seem to like them. Same platform as the Cruze (the new Equinox/Terrain are SMALLER than the previous generation).
So smaller cargo area too?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Have you driven one?

I drove a Chevrolet Impala with GM's start-stop and found it to be fine. It monitors brake pedal pressure (it isn't just a switch) and even if you want to creep forward, it has the engine running timed very closely with when the engine would be overcoming the brakes. If you want to start off quickly, it's running in less than the time it normally takes to get your foot off the brake and onto the accelerator. Cold start and warm up, it leaves the engine running. A/C demand, it monitors how much and either leaves the engine running or allows a short stoppage and restarts it when there is cooling demand. Turn signal flashing (indicative that you might want to do a quick restart), leaves the engine running.

Try it. I don't recall finding a realistic scenario that would catch it out.

oilhammer

TDI
I've driven plenty of other (non diesel) GM products with it, and I hate it. Same as with anything else that has it.

There are hacks to disable it on almost everything that has it.

But the main thing that is dumb is starter duty cycle. And where it'll die when it does (in the middle of an intersection, not in a parking spot).

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
On F-150 aftermarket switch is available to disable start stop. It has OEM appearance. And off is off.

The only solution I'm aware of for Equinox excludes diesel.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Appears you can disable S/S by selecting a gear in manual mode. Select gear 9 and all gears function with no S/S. That's how i read it.

oilhammer

TDI
On F-150 aftermarket switch is available to disable start stop. It has OEM appearance. And off is off.

The only solution I'm aware of for Equinox excludes diesel.
My dad's 2015 2.7L F150 has the switch as standard, but you need to turn it off right after start up every time (every key cycle, it reverts to being on again).

Apparently all of the tuners for Ecoboost models have this ability to disable it, but my dad is far too cheap to pay for a retune JUST for that (he wouldn't want any more "power", and quite frankly it doesn't need it). So he just reaches over and switches it off. Routine. Like buckling a seat belt. But at least it HAS a switch already.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Have you driven one?

I drove a Chevrolet Impala with GM's start-stop and found it to be fine. It monitors brake pedal pressure (it isn't just a switch) and even if you want to creep forward, it has the engine running timed very closely with when the engine would be overcoming the brakes. If you want to start off quickly, it's running in less than the time it normally takes to get your foot off the brake and onto the accelerator. Cold start and warm up, it leaves the engine running. A/C demand, it monitors how much and either leaves the engine running or allows a short stoppage and restarts it when there is cooling demand. Turn signal flashing (indicative that you might want to do a quick restart), leaves the engine running.

Try it. I don't recall finding a realistic scenario that would catch it out.
Have not driven one. Have driven rental Jeep Compasses with start/stop. I hated it, but there was a button to turn it off. Wear and tear on the starter for nothing.