TDI Passat vs Sportwagen - which to get?

daspianist

TDI
Not yet - in the market for a 2012 model
I am in the market for a new car, and am considering either the new 2012 TDI Passat or Sportwagen with DSG transmission, and noticed that they are currently offered at nearly the same MSRP. As someone who values

- safety
- good, alert handling
- interior comfort (including good sound proofing)
- comfort for rear passengers

which would you recommend in purchasing? I have read many good reviews of the Sportwagen in both its 2011 and 2011 iterations, but as the Passat TDI is being introduced to the States new for 2012, I have not seen many reviews for the vehicle. Also, are there additional factors that I should consider in comparing the two vehicles (for example, maintenance costs.. I would expect the Passat to edge slightly higher in this category)? I understand that the SW is assembled in Mexico.. where is the Passat TDI assembled?

Cheers!

sway162

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
Your best bet is to test drive both vehicles and decide from there. These are two different styles so go with what you need and what feels best after test driving. Obviously, the JSW will have more cargo capacity...so if you need something with more space, JSW all the way. I can't review on the Passat but I have been well pleased with my JSW. THe cargo space is bigger from what it looks on the outside.

Just go out and have fun with the test drives. =) As for where the Passat is assembled.....look at the price on the window. Good luck with your decision.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The Passat is built in VW's new factory in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It is a brand new design (for the American market), built in a brand new factory. What that means for quality is yet to be proven, we just do not know. It could be good and it could be bad.

As for the JSW, you are correct. It is built in VW's Puebla, Mexico factory. There does not appear to be any big quality problems in cars from that factory. The biggest issue with these cars are fuel system related and all of these parts are from Bosch in Germany.

Have Fun!

Don

superbee

TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
- The JSW interior room is smaller than a Passat, it is even smaller than a Jetta sedan. The JSW is the narrowest of the 3.
- As far as cargo capacity, the JSW is bigger ONLY if you go over the edge of the rear seat. If you stay below that level, to not block your rearview for example, then again JSW has the smallest cargo of the 3.
- With a JSW, you don't have a "wall" insulating road noise from rear train, making it sometime more noisy than a sedan version. ( driving a '11 Jetta, I enjoy the silence vs my previous drive: a "high-end" SUV )
- JSW has a great panoramic sunroof, a beauty !
- JSW went through a facelift operation in 2010, but the model is basically an MK5 from 2007 with a new nose. Making it a positive point since a lot of VW fans like more the MK5.
- JSW will have a "crisper", more defined roadhandling vs the Passat.

Go for a test drive and enjoy !
Maybe have a look on the Jetta sedan also: just too bad, you don't have the Canadian Highline version.

Last edited: