ABS/ESP issues

al_from_canada

On a snow-covered road last night, i experienced something very unusual. Moving along at about 50km/h, i began to downshift and brake as i approached a stop sign. As soon as i hit the brake the ABS went active. BUT...the pedal seemed to lock up. It would not move down at all and i realized i was in trouble. The car was out of control. I could feel the pulsating from the ABS in the pedal but no matter how hard i stomped, the pedal would not move and i slid helplessly into an intersection. It felt like all four wheel locked up as i slid sideways to a gradual stop.

It has worked fine since last night as ive tried to recreate what happened on other snowy roads. All works fine now.

Any thoughts from the community??

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
ABS only helps when stopping i went flying through a stop light that was changing at the time Because i was going to fast. TO FAST with ABS is just like to Fast without abs NO control Or lack of control. The pedal pulsating and feeling hard is normal.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Originally posted by al_from_canada:
Any thoughts from the community??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You appear to have been trying to violate the laws of physics.

Obviously, your speed was in excess of the capabilities for your vehicle to stop given the current conditions on the road. The fact that your ABS came on immedietly says that you were on a very slick surface. Regardless of how hard you push the pedal, you will only stop as quick as conditions will allow. Count yourself as very lucky that there was no traffic coming.

While ABS/ESP can be a great safety device, it cannot change the laws of physics when dealing with an object in motion.

In other words, when the weather is bad, slow it down a few ticks.......

al_from_canada

I see what youre getting at. I wouldnt post the issue if i believed i was moving too fast.

In recreating the incident, the car behaved as it normally would. It stopped well and with confidence. But what happened last night was different. I literally stood up on that brake pedal. It would not budge at all.

Perhaps this was a freak thing. I hope so. One reason I bought this car (03 Jetta) was for the technology on board and it's ability to put the odds in the drivers' favor when things go wrong.

You didn't stall it did you? If it's slick you can lock the wheels with the brakes (except for the amound ABS allows them to turn). The braking is assisted by intake vacuum. Just a thought...

al_from_canada

Nope. It didnt stall. Engine was running as I slid to a stop (clutch in).

Ive had no problems since and am beginning to believe that the conditions were just exceptionally slick. The ABS went active immediately and dealt with the ice as best it could. Still bothers me though...

DallasTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta then 2011 A3 & 2013 Beetle
I understand what you're describing above. IMO, since ABS is either "on or off" and cannot be anything inbetween, you not being able to mash the peddle any further towards the floorboard once the ABS was activated wouldn't worry me too much. The ABS was active and was slowing you down; you had your foot on the brakes and naturally tried to push harder to instinctively stop faster (that's imbred in us); you couldn't push any harder. To me, the ABS "locked you out" and was stopping the car. Some of the rental cars I have driven did this also (crappy GM) but most allow you to push harder (the Fords). So I have seen both.

Could you have already have had the brake at it's limit and just not known it? Sounds like you know that you didn't, but.....

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it since I have seen it before on other makes. I have not had the chance to activate my VW ABS though...

al_from_canada

My dad had a thought that before the ABS went active, I may have caught a rut or a bump in the snow when the wheels locked up that induced the gradual spin. I dont remember if i steered into the spin or not. If i didnt, that may explain why the ESP didnt bail me out...maybe...

My ABS/ESP has been getting a workout recently. The ESP has impressed me. Im used to driving a much larger car - '86 Lincoln TC - with a very predictable oversteer in slippery conditions. The Jetta drives much differently. Front-wheel drive understeer is noticeably corrected by the system when making a low speed slippery turn.

Anyone else have opinions on the ESP in bad weather?

By the looks of things up here winter will be around for awhile. Cold as hell today. If anything else odd happens, ill add a post.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Do you have snow tires? Doesn't copious use of ESP cause stress or wear on something or other?

[ January 15, 2003, 07:24: Message edited by: VelvetFoot ]

al_from_canada

The car came with Michelin Energy All-Seasons.

As i understand it, the ESP applies power and/or brakes as it sees fit to keep the car going where you intend it to go. I dont think there's any more wear than what's induced by regular driving.