?★ Need help please, new borg warner turbo squalling!

supak111

TDI
2006 TDi Jetta
yea I'm gonna jack up the car, start it up and look from below. Hopefully I figure something out. I'll try spraying soapy water and look for bubble or for change in the sound.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
I was thinking it would be the pipe from the turbo to the EGR cooler as well.

I had this pipe break on mine - I figured the systems pointed to a bad turbo - went through the headache of removing the turbo, just to find the turbo-to-EGR pipe cracked in two.

I did the reinstall myself - I could definitely see where the pipe could be cracked on resinstall, as it takes a good bit of shoving around to get it all back together.

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
there is a connection from the bottom of the intercooler (hard plastic) to a "rubber" hose that is clamped with a curious wire that is sort of C-shaped. Inside is a green O-ring.
When this O-ring fails, you get a whistling sound...really loud as RPMs increase.
(I have a picture but don't know how to post it.)
If someone else has a ETKA picture of the assembly to post, it's part 11B in the assembly labeled 12A. I had to get one from a VW dealer. It's "special"
This ring is not shown in my Bentley manuals...
ETKA illustration 145-80.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Hey guys my 05 mk5 tdi jetta has 230k, turbo use to smoke a little on start up but I didn't care and drove it like that for a while. Then the turbo started making the whistling sound (impeller touching housing) so I knew it was done and it was too much play.

I then replace the turbo with a new china made cartridge keep the rest of the turbo stock. I started the car, after about 1300rpms I think when the turbo start spinning or car has higher oil pressure the new cartridge starts making a whistling noise but this noise wasn't like the impeller touching housing. I drive the car at low rpms for many 4 miles, still whistling. Came home, revved it up to about 4k rpm when the cartridge blow a oil seal and oil everywhere mainly in the exhaust side and the engine started to RUN AWAY (think from too much oil in intake). Had to kill the key to kill the engine.

Then I just bough a BRAND NEW (not rebuilt) OEM Borg Warner turbo and installed it. Car started fine no noise. I was :). But then again after about 1300rpm the same whistling!!!!!!

I have turned off the car and need to find what the hell is the problem. I can't blow up the brand new turbo. Too much money and too much labor to install.

What could the problem be guys?

Maybe no oil pressure? But i'm thinking that can't be right because when the last turbo blew up the there was about a quart of oil in the exhaust, intercooler and intake piping so there is go to be ton of pressure.

Could it be that I hooked up one of the vacuum hoses wrong? Maybe on tubo actuator/wastegate?

Please any comments or suggestions are much MUCH appreciated.

PS now the band new turbo is leaking oil out of the exhaust side.... OMG!!! Do 05/06 brm engines have a oil restrictors on the oil inlet line? I didn't see one when I told the line off but maybe if fell out???
Most likely, there's your problem. For something like a turbo, you do not want to replace parts with Chinese garbage. Throw the Chinese parts in the trash and buy an OEM quality turbo.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If you mean the OP's first post, I did. What I high lighted in red is probably the biggest fail in the post.

If you replace parts with Chinese garbage, then you will have additional problems to deal with. Replacing a part should not be a crap shoot on whether the part is going to perform correctly.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
If you mean the OP's first post, I did. What I high lighted in red is probably the biggest fail in the post.

If you replace parts with Chinese garbage, then you will have additional problems to deal with. Replacing a part should not be a crap shoot on whether the part is going to perform correctly.
Again the op said he bought an oem borg warner turbo