What to pay for 2006 TDI, Package 1, 196k, 5MT, One owner

BioJetta2001

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
My I ask if the timing belt, turbo and cam been replaced lately. Because those are high ticket items that like to go out. I just replaced my cam and turbo so it could suck up a lot of the value of the car.

Just something to think about.

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well I went ahead and bought this car for 6k out the door. The interior and exterior was in very good condition and it drove well. It seemed to be free from paint and body work.

I have the carfax and it is a one owner car who bought and drove the car in the same area for all 8 years.

I have no idea what service has every been done to this car. There are no service records on carfax.

With that being said. What service should I do and how should I go about checking what has been done to this car. I felt like the risk of buying this car was worth it because it was in such good shape cosmetically.

I do all of the work on my cars, BMW Z435i, Miata SE, and Jeep GC so I am comfortable working on cars. However this is the first VW that I have owned and the first diesel as well so this will be a new adventure for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Check the VCDS owners list and the trusted mechanics list for those who are willing to help. I would start with a detailed inspection by a trusted mechanic and a TB kit change done by a trusted mechanic. Turbo and cam and lifters inspected. 40k/DSG service. Anything else the inspection picks up.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Timing belt, timing belt, timing belt, timing belt, NOW! If you don't know, have to do it, visual inspection tells nothing, it is all time and mileage. A break will break the bank for you.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Given the miles, your description, and my personal experience, you paid on the higher end of the price range. This isn't to say too much but rather to say that unless you're into gambling there are immediate expenses that need addressed.

As noted previously... Timing components. While you're at it a check of the cam and lifters. Good components will lighten your wallet by about $1200 if the cam is bad. If you do your own work you'll need the proper tools and VCDS. Don't attempt to cheap out as it will come back to bite. If you farm out the work, then choose someone familiar with your engine and who is known to do good work. Pay what they ask and be happy.

While you're at it I'd suggest that you check cooling fans for proper operation. Turn on the a/c and both fans should run. Fix them if they don't. EGR flapper valve bushing has either been repaired, or it's likely leaking by now. Check it. Door wiring is a known issue. Make sure your interior lamps are working properly and that the turn indicator and door accessories are functional.

Then the suspension. At 200k miles it isn't new. At some point it will need to be renewed. Your decision as to when, but it's coming.

My comments above might lead you to think I'm being negative on your purchase. While I'd have tried to purchase the car for $1500 less, my opinion is that the basic A5 is a very nice vehicle. The needed components as far as price (cost) wouldn't be an issue, but the cost of outside labor might kill the deal as it'll likely push the overall cost of the car over what I think it's worth.

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Check the VCDS owners list and the trusted mechanics list for those who are willing to help. I would start with a detailed inspection by a trusted mechanic and a TB kit change done by a trusted mechanic. Turbo and cam and lifters inspected. 40k/DSG service. Anything else the inspection picks up.

Where can I find the trusted mechanic list?

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I was able to get the service records from a local VW dealership.

I saw no major issues with the car and the timing belt was done at 103,859. There is no mention that the water pump was done but it is probably part of the timing belt service.

The oil was changed 5 times at the VW dealership so I have to believe that he also used another shop to change the oil as well. The previous wonder lived about 35 miles from the VW dealership

There are a few body electrical entries but I just have the summary and it doesn't it explain what these are.

Fuel filter was replaced a few light bulbs

Airbag and Front light recalls were completed.

There is no other service unless he had it done at another shop.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/2006_All.pdf

worth a close read.

looks like you should plan a timing belt job, which should include pulleys and the water pump. also filters and while not listed in the maintenance list, as advised earlier in this thread, you should examine, or have examined, the cam and associated...

VCDS is a good idea, as is an alldataDIY subscription.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/index/ is also a good reference, I think he started charging for access to some of the site.

you may have to pick, up a few new tools, triple square drivers for the most part, to work on your car. I would get short and long shaft.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
In 2012, I sold my 07 Subaru outback 6 cyl. and bought my 06 VW TDI with 175K for $8000 on ebay. My MPG went for 22 to 45 in the hwy and from 18 to 30 in city. despite what previous states, always replace the timing belt, because mine broke and a new upper head cost me $2500 due to damage. I relied on the owner stating it was replaced. Other than that, love the car.It now has $200k, still runs great and no DSG problems.

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So I have decided to replace the following:

TB Kit
Billet camshaft kit from IDParts
Sachs single mass quiet clutch kit with rear main

One of my local VW dealerships is going to do with work for $1,400. They are quoting me 15 hours at $93.

I should have a great running MKV after this work.

Mad_Max

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta 5sp
One of my local VW dealerships is going to do with work for $1,400. They are quoting me 15 hours at $93.
I don't have any information on the VW dealership reputation that you are planning on using, but in general they have a very little knowledge/experience on TDI motors (I know local to me sucks big time). Too many horror stories on this forum about botched TB jobs that ruined valves/heads.
Do you research before going there. Also check trusted mechanic list:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

See if you have one close by. Ask for the review from the forum members, someone will chime in. Typically you would get higher quality job than from the dealership.

Good luck.
Max