Question on antenna base and headliner mod/replacement

Road Reptile

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (GLS), Reflex Silver
As my 2003 Jetta approaches 150K miles, I'm looking to replace/repair my headliner and the troublesome antenna base. I thought it would be a good idea to mod the headliner with a panel to allow (easy?) access to the antenna base nut so that the antenna base can be replaced whenever it goes out. I'm on my third antenna base and I suspect corrosion has taken place since my AM/FM radio has been useless for at least two years now. Thanks to the many hot summers here in northern Virginia, the headliner is no longer attached to the pad and am looking to get that replaced or repaired soon as well.

Would anyone know where I could have a mod like this done to the headliner? To make matters worse, I also have a sunroof.

Thanks!
Road Reptile

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
I suspect you would have a hard time with any "practical or usable" mod that would do what you want. As the rear of the headliner is attached to the upper trim you would have to hack a complete intact headliner with some very robust supports on the upper side to provide the needed structural integrity. I can understand your wanting a opening or "hatch" to access this area to make the antenna re-juv process easier but man headliners are expensive! As you know removing the rear of the headliner from the upper trim is a slightly annoying process especially when it comes to reaching in and removing the antenna base nut, etc. I have done it but gotten help from the other half to help hold things open while I monkey with the required tools and process.
All this said, you may want to find an upholstery that has experience doing VW headliner R&R and express your idea to them. It may prove a path forward...or not.

Road Reptile

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (GLS), Reflex Silver
Has VW modified or redesigned this antenna base so that this problem won't keep occurring? Are there other options available that could be suitable replacements? Is there something that I can do to make the antenna base less susceptible/more resistant to corrosion?

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I think you just have some bad luck there. 153k on my 2005 and still original antenna base. I have spent a couple years in Florida, Montana, Tennessee. Have driven between Seattle, LA, Maine, and Key West.

Maybe pop the seal off the new one and slime a little silicon over the metal bottom?

Jason

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Has VW modified or redesigned this antenna base so that this problem won't keep occurring? Are there other options available that could be suitable replacements? Is there something that I can do to make the antenna base less susceptible/more resistant to corrosion?
RR- I'd say your luck is about as good as numerous other Mk IV owners. That's why all the vendors carry replacement ant bases. To partially answer your Q's: Yes, you can replace the original Mk IV base with a different unit, you can upgrade to a "shark fin" base, or you can hard wire the antenna or use a alternate antenna. There are how-to's for all of these, some of which are here, but mostly on vwvortex or the UK Mk IV forum. The newest VW ant base is much the same as the OE, in fact the most recent I replaced (not my car), I'd say the rubber at the base wasn't even as good as the OE. If you read the threads about replacement, you'll see some suggestions for protecting the electronics from water, including silicone sealant and deoxit spray. When I did my car, I opened up the base and put some silicone as an extra measure against water intrusion. Time will tell...

Lastly, the reception issue isn't always just the base. Some owners have traced reception problems to the HU or to the line from antenna to HU.