get some brake work done, apparently. The brake sensor warning has
been on for a few weeks. Had the car in for tire rotation today and asked
them to look at the front brakes. They indicated that on each wheel
one of the pads (can't remember which - outer, I think) was worn "all the
way down". When I had the car inspected in August all the brake pads
were reported to be satisfactory.

I've got about 71000 miles on the car and it really has been trouble
free...and since I've only been living up here a few years, I haven't had
the need for a mechanic. I do the easy routine stuff (filters, oil changes)
myself but I don't want to mess around with the brakes.

Any recommendations would be appreciated - my preference would be for
someone on the west side of the city (Greece, Gates, Brockport, etc).
Thanks for any help!

Chris

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I'll refer you to a friend of mine. He does some work on the side and is very familiar with VWs. If he isn't interested, he can refer you to others. Check your PM.

He's in Macedon.

coh

TDI
2002 Golf Silver
I know this is an old thread, but figured why start a new one when it already exists...

I'm curious as to any of the Rochester NY area people have had any recent experience with either of the VW dealers. Or, if they can recommend someone not too far. Any experience with Universal Imports?

I posted in another thread about a problem I'm having with my alternator (I think). My regular mechanic is booked up and can't take a look for another week and I'm not even sure if he's going to want to get involved in a TDI engine if there's belt work involved (he's good for brakes, etc). I've had my "heavy" work (timing belt type stuff) done by Dennis (Marquette Automotive) in Pennsylvania but that's a little too far to go right now.

Thanks,

Chris

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
There's CDI in Mendon/Victor area I think,then some people have used Select Eurocars in Waterloo with good results. I'm skeptical of any VW dealer. A guy in Leroy is has been good to me on stuff I didn't want to do on my wife's car(Pontiac) and is good w/ Subaru (my son's cars).He is reasonable and honest,and can usually get you in the same week.The garage is Fastec ,and the owner is Sean.LMK if you go with any of these places.

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
if you want to drive a couple hours you can come to my garage and we can do it there.

Last edited:

coh

TDI
2002 Golf Silver
if you want to drive a couple hours you can't come to my garage and we can do it there.
Assuming you meant "can" instead of can't...can you give me a general idea where you're located? And as for the current problem, check this thread in tdi101. Someone else started the thread but it was similar enough to what I'm experiencing that I just added my question there.

I've talked to both Eurocars and CDI. They are both willing to look at the car but I don't know anyone who has taken a TDI there.

Chris

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Select Eurocars is on the trusted list. A guy that I know has an 09 TDI Sportwagen and had them do the timing belt on it-he was happy with them. They also usually have a few TDI's for sale.The only dealer I've heard decent things about is Orchard Park VW on Southwestern Blvd.

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
Jason, why would he want to drive a couple of hours if he can't come to your garage?? ;)
really!? You know damn well it's a typo

Assuming you meant "can" instead of can't...can you give me a general idea where you're located? And as for the current problem, check this thread in tdi101. Someone else started the thread but it was similar enough to what I'm experiencing that I just added my question there.

I've talked to both Eurocars and CDI. They are both willing to look at the car but I don't know anyone who has taken a TDI there.

Chris
I sent you a PM. Eurocars is a really good shop.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Select Eurocars Inc.

I traveled 1hr45minutes from my home to Select Eurocars in Waterloo, NY for servicing my vehicle with 120,000 miles. He quoted me a great price of $917 for a timing belt replacement including water pump, serpentine belt, rollers etc. He also matched the cheapest DSG service I could find locally for $229. On top he gave me a discount for being a AAA member. The service writer Dan and Owner Joel were very talkative and answered all of my many questions and concerns. They used "Hudson Products" timing belt kit parts. The mechanic was a friendly guy also. The removed components like coolant reservoir were cleaned before re-installation. I am 60 and have never encountered cleaning existing parts before by any dealer. The waiting room while not lavish does have reclining theater seats with cup holders that helped pass the hours it took for repair. They also let me use a lot car and recommended a lunch spot nearby. I drove my 2010 JSW TDI home 100 miles and it performed just like the way I drove it there. I asked for the old parts which looked like they would last another 100,000 miles. If I need any more major repairs/service I will return. I spoke to a fellow customer(lawyer) who said he has been buying cars and servicing them at Select Eurocars for over 25 years. Based on all of the above I can recommend Select Eurocars Inc.