Racr pipe

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
I have a darkside race pipe on my alh that is leaking. It's leaking where the pipe screws onto the flange. I have tried pipe sealant but that didnt work haha. Anyone run into this before? It leaks oil and obviously boost haha. Makes a good whistling sound. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I have a darkside race pipe on my alh that is leaking. It's leaking where the pipe screws onto the flange. I have tried pipe sealant but that didnt work haha. Anyone run into this before? It leaks oil and obviously boost haha. Makes a good whistling sound. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Is the o ring in tact?

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Yes o-ring is good. I have replaced it twice originally thinking thats where it was coming from. But i disassembled the race pipe and found its coming from the threads on the pipe

germerican

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
What threads on the pipe? One of the three bolts connecting the race pipe to the intake or are you talking about a port for a fitting(boost gauge)?

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Yes o-ring is good. I have replaced it twice originally thinking thats where it was coming from. But i disassembled the race pipe and found its coming from the threads on the pipe

I'm not sure what threads your talking about ? I've be running a dark side race pipe for years. I can say it did leak between the race pipe and manifold, but that was improper seating of the O-ring and over torquing the 3 bolts. I run 30psi no problems or leaks at all .

Bajan

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
On the race pipe itself where it has the flange that bolts to the manifold and then in front of it is the pipe. There are some lines there and thats where its leaking. I took the pipe out and found out its threaded together.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
On the race pipe itself where it has the flange that bolts to the manifold and then in front of it is the pipe. There are some lines there and thats where its leaking. I took the pipe out and found out its threaded together.
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/darkside-1-9-8v-tdi-ve-90-110-and-pd100-pd115-egr-delete-race-pipe-51mm.html

I suspect you do not have a genuine Darkside race pipe. All the race pipes I have ever seen are machined from 1 billet (rare) or is a welded 2 piece assembly (common). I can't say I have ever heard of a 2 piece non-welded race pipe. Post a pic please...

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Mine is the exact one in the picture. Bought it from them a few years ago. I was suprised it wasnt welded coming for them. Im not sure how to post a picture. It says im not allowed attachments in the bottom corner. I did find a picture on google where you can see the threads. Its exactly how mine looks. I hope the link works haha. https://www.google.ca/search?client...30i10k1.106.r0oxvVCXtdc#imgrc=ruow-lPCVamZeM:

germerican

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Well you have a few options.

You could just pick up a new race pipe, Darkside makes them as a 1 piece billet now I think.

You could take it to a local welder that’s good with aluminum.

Or, you could try brazing the seam.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Mine is the exact one in the picture. Bought it from them a few years ago. I was suprised it wasnt welded coming for them. Im not sure how to post a picture. It says im not allowed attachments in the bottom corner. I did find a picture on google where you can see the threads. Its exactly how mine looks. I hope the link works haha. https://www.google.ca/search?client...30i10k1.106.r0oxvVCXtdc#imgrc=ruow-lPCVamZeM:
Wow, that's surprising. Another option you have other than noted above is to coat the threads with thread sealant and let it cure properly then reinstall. I don't think teflon tape will stand up to the heat and by products of a diesel engine.

ROLSON

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Yeah ill try one of those. I also have some aluminum epoxy that i might try. Just like jb weld juat different brand. Thanks for the input. If it doesnt work i might buy a new one.