Highbeam indicator issues

John-TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Hi I am having issues with my highbeam indicator staying on after replacing bulbs. Everything was fine and my RF low beam died no big deal got a bulb and replaced it. After replacing the bulb my high beam indicator always stayed on dimly and would blink with the blinkers. Also my Right side high beam wouldn't work. I though my high beam switch was going bad i ordered a OEM one from ID parts this didn't fix my issues. So today i replaced my left side bulb as i am stumped and all i get is high beams and when i flick on my high they dim. I am stumped and don't have an idea on where to begin.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
For something like this, there's 2 things that pop into my head. First, check the grounds under the battery, and second, check the wiring of the plugs in the headlight assemblies.

It sounds like there must be some leakage between the lighting elements of the bulbs, and if the plug overheated, there might be some problem with wires being too close.

I'm assuming you have quality bulbs with nothing wrong in them, but I don't know how you'd check that other than a visual inspection.

Good luck. Please report back if you find the solution.

Cheers,

PH

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I'm also thinking ground issue.
The ground under the battery is a possibility and the headlights ground somewhere on the left front of the engine compartment.
If you want you could measure the voltage from the negative post of the battery to the brown wire at the headlight, or on the light terminal if you can get to it with the light plugged in.
Measure it with the high beams on.
Did you check the 4 fuses for the headlights?

John-TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
thanks for the suggestions everyone i was hoping to start checking grounds but i didn't get home from work in time and it's not an emergency as i'll just drive my tacoma the next couple days.

John-TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
For something like this, there's 2 things that pop into my head. First, check the grounds under the battery, and second, check the wiring of the plugs in the headlight assemblies.

It sounds like there must be some leakage between the lighting elements of the bulbs, and if the plug overheated, there might be some problem with wires being too close.

I'm assuming you have quality bulbs with nothing wrong in them, but I don't know how you'd check that other than a visual inspection.

Good luck. Please report back if you find the solution.

Cheers,

PH
Thanks i started checking grounds so far they have all been pretty clean. I need to get a wipe arm puller so i can do the ones under the cowl though. Now this all started when one of the Philips bulbs burned out and i installed a slyvnian bulb and that's the only brand anyone caries. Should i go to the dealer and get a better bulb?

I'm also thinking ground issue.
The ground under the battery is a possibility and the headlights ground somewhere on the left front of the engine compartment.
If you want you could measure the voltage from the negative post of the battery to the brown wire at the headlight, or on the light terminal if you can get to it with the light plugged in.
Measure it with the high beams on.
Did you check the 4 fuses for the headlights?
I did check the fuses i didn't bring home my back prob kit from work but i could do that later in the week if need be. I work for toyota and we just don't see these type of electrical issues.

on top of what everyone has suggested also check the wiring inside the headlight, the wiring is bad about losing its insulation and could be shorting out on itself
Thanks i used my bore scope to look inside the headlights without pulling them everthing looks fine inside them. I actually have Bora HID reps from VXtuning for this car i am just trying to make sure the car car wiring isn't at fault before i order my HID wiring harness and kit for install.

John-TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Well i feel like a massive dummy but i figured it out. As dealership life should have taught me parts is always wrong but i figured advance auto was capable of giving me the correct bulbs. They gave me 9004 bulbs instead of 9007. i just ran out and got a new set of 9007 bulbs and everything is good i just have to adjust the headlights again and all is well.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Well i feel like a massive dummy but i figured it out. As dealership life should have taught me parts is always wrong but i figured advance auto was capable of giving me the correct bulbs. They gave me 9004 bulbs instead of 9007. i just ran out and got a new set of 9007 bulbs and everything is good i just have to adjust the headlights again and all is well.
That's interesting.
I had to lookup differences & the wires are all shifted over one position.
Learn something every day. :cool:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Daughter bought a new battery from a battery store. They went by what was in the car rather than what it's supposed to have. WRONG! (PO installed an under-sized battery) I was going to have her go to the dealer but figured that a battery store ought to be able to handle something this simple. Again, WRONG!:mad: