VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

gmoldovan

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
This June, 2016 was always in there. The change was salvage titles had to be submitted by 2/26/18.
You are on point, they are finding technicalities to not pay. How can anyone prove their car was 'operable' on the exact date 6/28/16? Too bad we have weak or no plaintiff counsel. If I were PC I would ask the judge if he can prove his car was operable on that date.
Hmm, but so does that TECHNICALLY mean that say I have a clean title car, never salavged, I have receipts that prove it was operable on June 2016 but now I tow it to turn it back in because I put water in the gas tank and its no longer running theyd have to take it? Because it satisfies the requirement that it's operable on that random date and not when I turn it in? ?

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
... I know got a denial saying his car is ineligible because it is "salvage" when in California that really means "salvage rebuilt." After that that they probably paused that and looked into each state's nomenclature. At which point they found this June 2016 date as operable and decided to ask for an impossible thing for us to prove. They never should have been allowed to change the original terms.
Yes, in CA salvage has been horribly defined. It could mean:

1: car is salvaged after a wreck meaning salvage certificate issued to owner after insurance reports total loss. Car is not registered, no license plates.

2. car is salvaged meaning title has a brand "salvage" written directly on the title. Car is registered, license plates, driving on roads.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Hmm, but so does that TECHNICALLY mean that say I have a clean title car, never salavged, I have receipts that prove it was operable on June 2016 but now I tow it to turn it back in because I put water in the gas tank and its no longer running theyd have to take it? Because it satisfies the requirement that it's operable on that random date and not when I turn it in? ?
Requirement is also it "drives under its own power" when turning in for buyback.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Who the hell are you, again?

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
fookin - I have a red exclamation point on one claim and I can 'upload' proof. I also have a yellow hour-glass and I have to mail. All other items - ID, Title, Registration, and proof of acquisition all in green checkmarks. Not sure why is one way and other is another.
I faxed my documents when the hour-glass showed up and they were applied immediately to my claim.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Interesting how VW is falling back on the "could not be driven under the power of its own 2.0-liter TDI engine on June 28, 2016" eligibility requirement. That is going to be very very difficult to prove for anyone owning a vehicle that had a salvage title on 6/28/16 but had not been put back on the road by that date (such as having been rebuilt, inspected and registered prior to 6/28/2016).

Like I said before, I think the original intent of the settlement was to exclude any branded titled vehicles from the settlement, with the exception of cars that were totaled after the settlement had been made public. The exception was put in place to protect owners of clean title cars cars that were totaled while waiting for the buy back process to be executed. Perhaps they also did want to make owners of branded title cars that were roadworthy prior to the emissions scandal becoming public also eligible for the program. However, given they never had an adjustment for the value of branded title cars in the value table, I'm inclined to think this was purely an oversight on the part of the lawyers.

Here's my 2 cents on some possible documentation that may be helpful:
1. Proof of when the car was totaled. You can get a date off of the NICB website.
2. Proof of when the car was restored. This can be inspection documentation from your state motor vehicle department or perhaps even the first registration renewal when the car was put back into service.
3. Some of the items VW is asking for, like a ticket or service record showing the car was operable. Creative folks should be able to come up with something to satisfy this requirement. ;-)
4. A history of registration and mileage on the vehicle. Carfax or other VIN search services including your state DMV may be able to provide this. This may require a fee to get the history on the car from your DMV, but should be available. However, often getting information on prior owners is restricted or simply not available.

Good luck to you guys, as I think you are going to have a very difficult uphill battle with VW going forward.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Just got the following denial email:

· Your vehicle is not eligible because it is held by a salvage title, salvage certificate, or certificate of destruction and is therefore not operable or cannot be legally registered and/or driven. Because this vehicle has been deemed ineligible to participate in the TDI Settlement Claim Program, no new claims submitted under this VIN will be accepted.

Car was salvaged back in 2016.. Will appeal of course

gmoldovan

TDI
2002 Golf TDI

· Your vehicle is not eligible because it is held by a salvage title, salvage certificate, or certificate of destruction and is therefore not operable or cannot be legally registered and/or driven. Because this vehicle has been deemed ineligible to participate in the TDI Settlement Claim Program, no new claims submitted under this VIN will be accepted.

What state are you in? What is your state's nomenclature for dealing with salvage/salvage rebuilt cars?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
What state are you in? What is your state's nomenclature for dealing with salvage/salvage rebuilt cars?
The title has word SALVAGE written in huge letters all across on it.

Accident was in March 2016. I got it with a washed clean title. I got my state's salvage title in July 2017.

I am not too upset, I knew this was gonna happen. I'll just drive it into ground for next 10 years

I am just glad that VW is actually processing these now.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI

Your car CAN be legally driven in your state - correct? I would understand if a vehicle cannot be legally driven then it should not be eligible. But if it CAN be legally driven and is still 'polluting' then it should be bought back and removed from service. So says the judge in that opt out settlement.

Funny how VW is now making us jump through hoops we cannot reach because of this 6/28/16 date. Are they within the 'spirit' of the agreement?

gmoldovan

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
The title has word SALVAGE written in huge letters all across on it.
Accident was in March 2016. I got it with a washed clean title. I got my state's salvage title in July 2017.
I am not too upset, I knew this was gonna happen. I'll just drive it into ground for next 10 years
I am just glad that VW is actually processing these now.
My point is that "salvage" in some states is equivalent to "salvage rebuilt." For example in California salvage certificate = salvage title (and not elligible) and once you fix it and register it you get a salvage title = salvage rebuilt (which is elligible)

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
My point is that "salvage" in some states is equivalent to "salvage rebuilt." For example in California salvage certificate = salvage title (and not elligible) and once you fix it and register it you get a salvage title = salvage rebuilt (which is elligible)
A California Certificate of Title which is branded: Vehicle History "Salvaged" is a rebuilt title. A CarFax report will confirm this. VW is referencing CarFax (as at least one source) to confirm vehicle history.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
A California Certificate of Title which is branded: Vehicle History "Salvaged" is a rebuilt title. A CarFax report will confirm this. VW is referencing CarFax (as at least one source) to confirm vehicle history.
Gmoldavan stated the exact same thing. No contradiction. FYI

nathanacura

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Your vehicle is not eligible because it is held by a salvage title, salvage certificate, or certificate of destruction and is therefore not operable or cannot be legally registered and/or driven. Because this vehicle has been deemed ineligible to participate in the TDI Settlement Claim Program, no new claims submitted under this VIN will be accepted.
I just received the exact same denial after jumping through hoops and sending documents for the last 4 or 5 months. How exactly can they make that statement when they have legal title and registration documents in my name which proves the opposite of what they said?
Car had a clean title after 9/18/15, was crashed ~8/16 and was repaired and registered less than a month later.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I just received the exact same denial after jumping through hoops and sending documents for the last 4 or 5 months. How exactly can they make that statement when they have legal title and registration documents in my name which proves the opposite of what they said?
Car had a clean title after 9/18/15, was crashed ~8/16 and was repaired and registered less than a month later.
It's what they do, that's how.

It appears that VW has changed nothing in regards to their response in the portal to these vehicles and are adding the unnecessary step of denying every claim. Adding stress to the process sure doesn't seem within the "spirit" of the settlement to me.

What this does is gives VW another opportunity to have an affected customer give up on the process and that is certainly what it looks like they have been trying to do all along. Sad.

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
It's what they do, that's how.
It appears that VW has changed nothing in regards to their response in the portal to these vehicles and are adding the unnecessary step of denying every claim. Adding stress to the process sure doesn't seem within the "spirit" of the settlement to me.
What this does is gives VW another opportunity to have an affected customer give up on the process and that is certainly what it looks like they have been trying to do all along. Sad.
i think we haveto wait for. judge charles breyer to take action

nathanacura

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
It also seems that VW is hung up on the exact term "salvage". I know some states will change that to "rebuilt" or something similar once it is repaired and inspected. My car has been repaired and inspected and legally titled/registered by 2 people before me since the accident. The SC title it had when I bought it showed NO branding, the previous GA title showed SALVAGE, and when I registered in here in FL it does not have SALVAGE written across it, but does have a small area that shows "branding for other jurisdictions" where it shows the salvage note from GA. It's safe and legal. The way VW has chosen to treat cars like this is really pretty nasty.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
i think we haveto wait for. judge charles breyer to take action
There is allegedly a process in place at this time and the CRC is supposed to be processing these claims...still nothing.

It also seems that VW is hung up on the exact term "salvage". I know some states will change that to "rebuilt" or something similar once it is repaired and inspected. My car has been repaired and inspected and legally titled/registered by 2 people before me since the accident. The SC title it had when I bought it showed NO branding, the previous GA title showed SALVAGE, and when I registered in here in FL it does not have SALVAGE written across it, but does have a small area that shows "branding for other jurisdictions" where it shows the salvage note from GA. It's safe and legal. The way VW has chosen to treat cars like this is really pretty nasty.
I empathize with VW to a certain point, the terminology is very wide and varied between states. I don't agree with the claims being automatically rejected and sent to the CRC.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
There is allegedly a process in place at this time and the CRC is supposed to be processing these claims...still nothing.
I empathize with VW to a certain point, the terminology is very wide and varied between states. I don't agree with the claims being automatically rejected and sent to the CRC.
Why would you empathize with VW? SMH. Forget the cheating. They reject claims WITHOUT research. It does not take that long to research each state requirements. They are paying out billions, how much can it cost someone to know the rules in 50 states?

CRC made a decision. Right. Wrong or Indifferent, those are the rules (for now). Now VW must follow it.

We still have not seen an offer letter on a salvage.

As for Breyer getting involved. Wishful thinking. He does not know we are in a lurch here. We are represented by a plaintiff attorney that I doubt tells him what is going on. Claims report certainly does not paint a picture of issues.

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
Thanks for sharing. I shot something over to Desantis about our 'issue'. I am in Florida. Maybe he will respond?
i think we all should go to California nex to judge charles breyer because what ever vw doing to us its not fair no body well go through with those claims

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
i think we all should go to California nex to judge charles breyer because what ever vw doing to us its not fair no body well go through with those claims
Exparte

Can I talk to the Judge?

Talking to a judge outside a formal court proceedings about a case is called ex parte communications, and it is not allowed. It does not matter whether or not you are a party to a case or a member of the public who has an interest in a particular case. Ex parte is a Latin phrase meaning, "on one side only; by or for one party; one side of a controversy."

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
Just received a letter from FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION

RE: FTC v. Volkswagen Group, No. 3:15-md-2672 (N.D. Cal.)
Unmodified Vehicles

Dear Sir/Madam:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
We represent the Federal Trade Commission in the above-captioned matter. Copies of the orders resolving this matter are enclosed, including the Partial Stipulated Order for Permanent Injunction and
Monetary Judgment, DE2104 (Oct. 25, 2016), and the Amended Second Partial Stipulated Order for
Permanent Injunction, DE3227 (May 17, 2017).
We understand you possess Volkswagen “Clean Diesel” vehicles that have not yet received the approved emissions modifications necessary to remove the defeat devices from these vehicles. As a precautionary measure, we note that selling a vehicle with a defeat device may constitute an unfair and/or
deceptive trade practice under federal law. Indeed, the Commission took that position in the above captioned matter. Obtaining approved modifications before selling such vehicles addresses this potentially
significant issue, and Volkswagen will provide such modifications at no cost.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us: Jonathan Cohen,
(202) 326-2551, jcohen2@ftc.gov, and Sangjoon “Simon” Han, (202) 326-249

Maybe we need to contact these folks and tell them about VW stalling programs .

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Which has nothing to do with the salvage issue at all. It just says you may have an issue selling to anyone else without getting the fix first. All cars are eligible for the fix is my understanding. You may have to get somethings repaired before the fix can be applied though. Emailing or letter writing doesn't help you if you are sending to the incorrect people.

What you people need is a lawyer of your own. Then you will have your own legal counsel to handle things for you. Short of that you are just spinning your wheels with things like this. There is no replacement for proper representation. See a lawyer.

vnmsdw

TDI
jetta
appeal

Did you any of you guys have any luck with the appeal once your claim was denied. Did the appeal overturn the original denial by VW?

vnmsdw

TDI
jetta
attorney

Did you have any luck with getting a attorney to take this care and take VW to court so they would buyback the salvage titled cars?