www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 23rd, 2017, 14:40   #1
WLV

TDI(s): 2015 A3 TDI
Default Why I'm Doing Nothing Until 2018

I own an Audi A3 TDI, model year 2015. While I'm leaning toward a buyback, here's why I'm doing nothing until close to the 2018 deadline:

1) I get 50+ mpg on the freeway and 35mpg in town. I don't want to jeopardize that. I'll let others be the guinea pigs and let Consumer Reports figure out if there's any mileage degradation before I make up my mind.

2) Even if stage 1 doesn't change anything, who knows if that will be true for the stage 2 repairs? And then I'd be stuck with the fix.

3) I still have 2 more years of warranty, and I pre-paid for service. So, as the service manager said, this car will cost me nothing for close to two more years.

4) In two years there will be more choices when it comes to higher-mileage gasoline vehicles. Even now, the new FWD A3 has a revamped gasoline engine that gets better fuel economy than last year's model. In two years we may see even better engines, or more hybrids from manufacturers of vehicles that I'd actually consider owning.

5) According to the buyback calculator I will be getting essentially what I paid for the car, not including tax and license. So for the one time in my life, I'll have owned a car for four years that isn't a depreciating asset. In essence, I'll have had a car for free for four years, except for the cost of diesel fuel and insurance. That will never happen again, I'm sure.
WLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 14:43   #2
Rico567
Veteran Member

Well, our NMS passat has over 52K on it, and it's 3.5 years old, so #3 doesn't apply, but as for the rest, we're doing the same thing, pretty much for the same reasons. Coincidence?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 14:48   #3
WLV

TDI(s): 2015 A3 TDI

Rico567: there are two other factors, and the first is highly speculative:

1) VW must buy back or fix a certain percentage of cars by 2018. If they're not meeting that number it's conceivable, as others have suggested, that local dealers would add incentives to buy back, perhaps in terms of bigger discounts on replacement VW/Audi models.

Far from my major motivation, but perhaps an interesting side benefit.

2) 2015 models were on the cusp of new technologies. 2017 and 2018 models of the A3, if that's the route I decide to take, will have backup cameras, a virtual instrument panel as an option, front and rear parking sensors, Apple CarPlay, Homelink, and perhaps other options, none of which I have now.

Last edited by WLV; January 23rd, 2017 at 21:24.
WLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 16:57   #4
TurnOne
Veteran Member

I'd trade my car in on the exact same model 2016 or 2017 with driver's package.
I already have all the other options and love the car. 58k blissful miles with 48mpg average. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to make it happen if required to close the deal. For now, I'll drive it like I plan to keep it forever (cleanliness, maintenance, etc).

TurnOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 18:42   #5
CruisingWagon

I like your thinking, WLV. I'm doing the exact same thing. Waiting and watching.
CruisingWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 19:25   #6
dropnosky
Veteran Member

Im doing a bit similar but more for the reason of paying off the loan so i dont have to share a buyback payout with a lender. The longer i wait, the closer to that goal. Dont see any reason for all the rushing about going on.
dropnosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 19:28   #7
cane929
Veteran Member

Same thing here, mine is practically still new with 5200 miles. Waiting for the elusive Mazda CX5 Diesel.
cane929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:45   #8
donallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLV View Post
I own an Audi A3 TDI, model year 2015. While I'm leaning toward a buyback, here's why I'm doing nothing until close to the 2018 deadline:

1) I get 50+ mpg on the freeway and 35mpg in town. I don't want to jeopardize that. I'll let others be the guinea pigs and let Consumer Reports figure out if there's any mileage degradation before I make up my mind.

2) Even if stage 1 doesn't change anything, who knows if that will be true for the stage 2 repairs? And then I'd be stuck with the fix.

3) I still have 2 more years of warranty, and I pre-paid for service. So, as the service manager said, this car will cost me nothing for close to two more years.

4) In two years there will be more choices when it comes to higher-mileage gasoline vehicles. Even now, the new FWD A3 has a revamped gasoline engine that gets better fuel economy than last year's model. In two years we may see even better engines, or more hybrids from manufacturers of vehicles that I'd actually consider owning.

5) According to the buyback calculator I will be getting essentially what I paid for the car, not including tax and license. So for the one time in my life, I'll have owned a car for four years that isn't a depreciating asset. In essence, I'll have had a car for free for four years, except for the cost of diesel fuel and insurance. That will never happen again, I'm sure.
I agree with you completely. I've been making similar arguments in this forum that the smartest thing to do is wait. I think if you understand a little basic accounting and statistical math, you come inescapably to the conclusion you reached, despite the Chicken Littles who would opt for the certainty of depreciation vs. the small probability of totaling their cars or an HPFP failure, forgetting that VW extended its warranty.
donallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:46   #9
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donallen View Post
an HPFP failure, forgetting that VW extended its warranty.
VW only extended the HPFP warranty through the 2012 model year. Doesn't help anyone with a newer car.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 09:17   #10
PacCoastFwy923
Veteran Member

When you look at it from the perspective of totaling the car could swing largely in your favor, it's a wonder that the total = partial $ loss argument continues to bear weight.
Old January 24th, 2017, 09:38   #11
MBfrontier

I'll be driving my 2012 VW Golf TDI DSG until there is some clarity on the fix. I've been looking for a replacement but I don't want to have to move up to a $50,000.00 plus to get the same performance/mileage. My Golf has 44k miles so I could be driving this car for many more miles if the fix doesn't destroy what we enjoy about this car. I'll wait and see.
Old January 24th, 2017, 10:42   #12
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLV View Post
Sounds like a good plan
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 11:04   #13
Dr Chill
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2016 A8L TDI

I bought a replacement already but I am using my 2015 A3 until the warranty is up in May 2018 and driving it 1042 miles a month for $100 a month insurance and $42 a year registration. Audicare for maintenance too. I drive 1600 miles a month on average.
Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 14:30   #14
jdyno718
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropnosky View Post
Im doing a bit similar but more for the reason of paying off the loan so i dont have to share a buyback payout with a lender. The longer i wait, the closer to that goal. Dont see any reason for all the rushing about going on.
BINGO!!

for me by the end of decision time, if I go with the buy-back, my loan will be paid off, I can sell my car for a lot more than it's worth, and the difference in buy back amounts now or later is at most approx. $800.

I could receive approx. $7,800 now after loan is paid off and would still need a car

or

I can wait and receive $17,500 later with my loan paid off, and buy a new car.
jdyno718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 15:06   #15
cane929
Veteran Member

Anyone worried about this?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.2f324c9fa26f
cane929 is offline   Reply With Quote