Need help to get selector gear off for 5th gear swap

ADVNTURR

TDI
2003 Golf GL 2dr
I am in the process of converting my 03 Golf from an auto to a 5spd (donor was an 01 Beetle) and while I was at it I wanted to go ahead and upgrade 5th gear since it was already drained and was easy to access. I have the bolts off and the selector ring out of the way but I can not get the selector gear loose. I realize that it is pressed on, but I have been heating it and putting a lot of pressure (more that I am really comfortable with) on it with a 2 jaw puller but I have yet to get it to budge. I have also tried tapping on the gear with a wrench while it was hot and with the puller loaded, but still no such luck.

Has anyone who has done a 5th gear swap before had this much trouble getting the selector gear off? Any thoughts (I am concerned about shattering the gear with too much force and I don't want to put too much heat into it with a torch)?

Thanks in advance.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I use a three jaw puller, with the ends of the jaws ground down so that they slide fully under the gear and selector ring. That and a little heat from a propane torch and the gear will pop off without too much difficulty.