Anyone try fighting VW Canada re Rust Warranty?

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS (RIP), 2002 Jetta TDI GLS, 2014 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Wolfsburg Edition, 2014 Touareg TDI Execline
Hi Guys,

Bramgate Vw called me today notifying me that my claim for my drivers door (rust bubble around handle) and my front passenger door (rust near edge of window frame) have been approved. But both my rear quarter panels (rust bubbles forming on both panels) have not been! The lady mentioned Vw has said its due to road rash. I would argue otherwise due to the areas not being in direct contact with the wheels or any debris that would come from the rear wheels.

Anyone try to argue with Vw Canada customer care about something similar?

Also, has anyone submitted a claim for a hood replacement due to rust around the hood latch from the inside?

I am trying to take care of any rust warranty claims I may have before October (thats when the car has been on the road for 12 years).

Thanks!

Last edited:

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I got a call from Bramgate today too. They have approved my rear hatch and rear passenger fender for warranty.

Wonder how much more they will charge to re-spray the whole car?

Queensway VW was useless. 4 appointments over 3yrs with no answer.

Last edited:

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS (RIP), 2002 Jetta TDI GLS, 2014 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Wolfsburg Edition, 2014 Touareg TDI Execline
Ya Bramgate did my hatch and my front drivers fender...excellent work fit and finish matches perfectly! Just make sure when you bring it in, show them that everything electronic works with your hatch etc. I had a small unnecessary issue- when i dropped the car off, my hatch switch in my drivers door worked, when they gave me the car back it didnt. Somehow the switch went while they had the car.

I would be curious to see how much they would charge for re spray... Ill ask them for a quote

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Does anyone know if VW will still cover you if your car has been "krown'd"?
Yes they will...my car was sprayed since new, but the Krown product could not stop the water logged foam from rotting out the front fenders..the rest of the car is still like new with over half a million on it.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Hi Guys,

Bramgate Vw called me today notifying me that my claim for my drivers door (rust bubble around handle) and my front passenger door (rust near edge of window frame) have been approved. But both my rear quarter panels (rust bubbles forming on both panels) have not been! The lady mentioned Vw has said its due to road rash. I would argue otherwise due to the areas not being in direct contact with the wheels or any debris that would come from the rear wheels.

Also, has anyone submitted a claim for a hood replacement due to rust around the hood latch from the inside?

I am trying to take care of any rust warranty claims I may have before October (thats when the car has been on the road for 12 years).

Thanks!

I had the exact same bubbles on the rear quarter dogleg and it is defiantly caused by smalls stones being kicked up from the front wheels....under the hood that is very common....just surface rust...clean it off... prime it.. color match it...and after the paint is cured (in about a week or so) spray it with oil rust proofing...it will NEVER progress any further if you do body maintenance (yearly rust proofing) such as Krown it will stop the rust from eating the car from the inside out... touching up stone chips as soon as you find them will prevent those nasty looking rust bubbles

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
As diesel ducky sez....ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure. I had good success with Guelph VW also for the fenders. Past the 12 year mark this month....wow

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys, I always touch up rock chips! Ill have to Krown the car again this year.

Does anyone have any ideas as what would be best to clean up those bubbles? I guess regardless of what I do, it will still be noticeable. But im thinking just to clean it up (using a small screwdriver or something to scrape out the rust) and use touch up paint

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Thanks guys, I always touch up rock chips! Ill have to Krown the car again this year.

Does anyone have any ideas as what would be best to clean up those bubbles? I guess regardless of what I do, it will still be noticeable. But im thinking just to clean it up (using a small screwdriver or something to scrape out the rust) and use touch up paint
LOL that has to be one of the worst ideas ever.

Get a dremel and use that to clean it up, go beyond the rust a bit to make sure you help stop the spreading.

then use touch-up paint

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
Lmao it worked like a charm when I cleaned up the chips along the top of the windsheild!

Thanks mrrhtuner!

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Lmao it worked like a charm when I cleaned up the chips along the top of the windsheild!

Thanks mrrhtuner!

No problem, anytime you deal with rust, you want to either:

A) cut it out completely
B) grind it down till it is completely gone.

If you were to use your screwdriver method, you wouldn't be able to fully clean up the metal and after paint it would eventually start rusting in time.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
While, I agree with your method. If you do the screwdriver method( as I have). An ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure. Point being, is do a little, and it goes a long way. Just means I do a little more touch up each spring. Some people think there is no point in touching up, I know different. It's a matter of degrees.... You would not see me with the Dremel touching the car up, but it's not the worst idea yet, that would be doing nothing.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Don't go to Cambridge VW for rust. They said lack of maitnance was the cause of the foam rusting my fenders. 4 years ago the passenger side had a hole the size of a baseball.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Hi Guys,

Thanks!

How long did you have to wait to hear from the dealer if your claim was approved or not by VW Canada. I went to Pfaff in Newmarket and they said there is a 6 month wait for claims. Apparently VW has a long waiting list. Maybe I should go to another dealer?

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
How long did you have to wait to hear from the dealer if your claim was approved or not by VW Canada. I went to Pfaff in Newmarket and they said there is a 6 month wait for claims. Apparently VW has a long waiting list. Maybe I should go to another dealer?
I was speaking to a few guys form VW Martingrove and they said 6 months seems to be the new standard. VW of Canada is taking a closer look at all cases given the number of claims that have been submitted.

Unfortunately for VW, they built diesel engines that will outlast the warranty period, unlike their gas engine counterparts. Diesel owners are more likely to be older than gas car owners, and less likely to be as concerned with paint appearance than gas car owners. Less accidents and cosmetic re-sprays reduces the number of exclusions from the warranty.

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
My first time i went to bramgate, it took 3 weeks to get my hatch and drivers fender approved. Then when i had picked up the car, i got them to sumbit a few more areas of concern, this was end of march. So this second time it basically took 3 months to get approval. I had called bramgate to ask what was going on and the service rep told me that since its warm out now, thats when everyone comes in and there is only one department at the headoffice that deals with the claims so it just takes longer at this time of year to get an answer due to higher volumes of claims

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I heard back from Bramgste last week. Went to the dealer 3rd week of March.

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
Going into Hunt Club VW next Tues for both front fenders and hatchback .... will report results ..... wish me luck ?!?

KID A TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
I can almost fit 3 fingers in the rust on my driver's side door now. Pretty impressive I thought.

Have been turned down by 2 dealerships for the warranty so far (Barrie and Orillia). I'm going to try again. And I'm going to be...persuasive o_O

GTIDamien_407

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
I was actually talking to someone that deals with this kind of stuff everyday and he said the best dealerships to go to paintwork wise is bramgate vw (in house) and queensway (427 collision).

I will be heading to Bramgate for my trunk once I get my golf on the road. Anyone know if you can keep your old parts? I wanna keep my trunk so I can make it into a euro trunk with the 04+ lip

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
from what i know you can not keep your old parts... I didnt try asking but I highly doubt theyll give them back to you

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
The 6moth wait is bull. How can Bramgate give you an answer in less then 3 weeks and most other dealerships claim 6 moth? I doubt Bramgate is bribing VWOC for faster response :)

I had my fenders done on my old Golf 5 years ago and it took 2-3 moth to approve them. But my hatch on my new Golf took 3 weeks from me claiming it to being done. Both at Bramgate.

Last edited:

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
Going into Hunt Club VW next Tues for both front fenders and hatchback .... will report results ..... wish me luck ?!?
Both fenders replaced - no questions asked - done the next day !!. Pics taken of the hatch - sent to VW ...... waiting for response.

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I was actually talking to someone that deals with this kind of stuff everyday and he said the best dealerships to go to paintwork wise is bramgate vw (in house) and queensway (427 collision).
Queensway / 427 took 47 weeks to get my fender and hatch done so based on my experience, I would say they are not one of the better dealerships.

MEIN_VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI wagon highline
I had Pfaff check out my rusting fender a year and half ago and they never got back to me. God I HATE that dealership!

volkswheels

Vendor
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 GolfHighline TDI DSG
It has been since the first week of March for our '06.5 hood and trunk lid, nothing back from Jack MacDonnel VW in Cornwall, On. yet :(