www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 5th, 2001, 15:22   #1
Flyboy

Default Mechanic in Seattle area

Does anyone know of a good TDI mechanic in the Seattle area? Need timing belt done. Thanks.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2001, 12:59   #2
GotDiesel?
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 60/46/38
Default Re: Mechanic in Seattle area

You might give Campbell Nelson (in Edmonds) a call. I got a coupon advertising very reasonable prices on timing belt changes.

I'm not anywhere near the interval yet so I threw it away and unfortunately I don't remember the price they quoted but it was under $200, if memory serves.

There wasn't any fine print excluding the TDIs so you may get a good deal there.

I have only had routine maintenance and a little warranty work done there but so far no horror stories (oil has been at correct level, etc.).

Good luck.
GotDiesel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2001, 16:18   #3
Frank Doherty

I believe that Heinz had a good experience with a garage in Tacoma by (I think)the name of Midland Automotive. I'd give them a call. You had better check and verify with the service manager if you think that you can get the folks in Edmonds to agree to change your timing belt for $200. That would be contrary to just about everything that Stealerships hold near and dear to their hearts....that is, transferring your money into their bank accounts....
Frank Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2001, 17:03   #4
e-VOLVed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 and falling

I checked with a friend of mine in Chaplin's service department... he brought out 'standard charges' book that shows what a dealer is allowed to charge for a job.

VW says that labor should be 3.3 units and mechanics charge $79/hour. Most dealers will quote you 4 units though, they can pad with whatever they like to get $500 plus for the job.

$260.70 plus however much your own parts ordered on line cost.

If they're good and can do it in under 3.3, that's what they'll charge you.

I called each of the Dealers within 30 miles of Bothell and they each quoted the same labor rate except for Campbell Nelson who said they'd do it for $400 p&l.

Two things though, the mech sounded clueless and mentioned that they "really don't see many TDI's with that many miles" and mechs from the other shops would (grudgingly) recommend any other dealership to do the same job EXCEPT C-N VW.

Just my $.02 (plus tip)
e-VOLVed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2001, 18:20   #5
GotDiesel?
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 60/46/38

Going through my brief case I found the letter from VW "Preferred Service Headquarters."

The price listed was $199.95 for "most models."

I think I'll tuck it away for when I have put another 40,000 miles on my 2001.

Regarding the clueless mechanic: Did you actually talk to mechanics or service writers? My experience over many years and many different service facilities is that you seldom talk to an actual mechanic over the phone, at least on the initial call.

The person on the phone may not reflect the overall quality of the people doing the actual wrenching.

Good luck and please let us know who you go with and how it went.
GotDiesel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2001, 21:01   #6
jayhawk
Veteran Member

Midland Auto Service is great.. They do excellent work for a great price! I had my 2000 TDI done there.....the timing belt, tensioner, and fuel filter. For less than half of what some dealers wanted!

One week after they did the work, I drove it 1800 miles in 4 days and had NO problems!
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2001, 17:54   #7
godlike242
Veteran Member

evolved: what is the name of your friend down there?
godlike242 is offline   Reply With Quote