New to tdi wondering if the noise I'm hearing is cam/ lifter noise or injection pump

Ziggyzag68

TDI
2000 golf tdi
Hey guys I hope I'm posting to the right thread I just got this 2000 golf tdi and the ticking noise seems excessive the engine does have 327000 miles and is due for a timing belt job my question is the noise seems to be cam/lifters or the injection pump I will post a video hoping someone can give me an answer my goal is to track the noise and have the issue addressed and fixed while I have the timing belt done i dont know how to post video so I posted it on YouTube under excessive noise 2000 alh need help identifying

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
if the car is a manual you can perform a quick test of the pump by jacking up the passenger side front wheel, putting the car in fifth gear and rotating the passenger tire ... if you hear the pump clicking four times per PUMP revolution, the drive lugs, crosspiece, and cam plate are worn, or the crosspiece is shattered...you can perform the same test with an auto but you'll need to turn the engine over via the crank bolt

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, to my ears that's what a worn-out IP sounds like. :)

I had one that sounded like that for a year before I had a chance to pull it and get it rebuilt... meaning it's just wear, not anything particularly fatal.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
when it's worn or broken the cam plate just after peak lift suddenly cams over in the direction of pump travel until the worn lugs slam into the crosspiece (first clatter), then the diveshaft has to catch back up to the worn lugs (second clatter)... this causes a momentary rotational stall in the camplate and plunger ... it's possible this stall effects fueling and timing...either way parts are wearing and fine metal is being circulated throughout the pump and some can make it to the injectors ... replace asap

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
When you do the TB you will have the valve cover off and that's a good time to have a good look at the cam. While the ALH engines aren't known for cam wear, all things wear eventually, and depending on oil used previously, it's worth a close inspection, if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term. Cam and lifters should probably be replaced together and they aren't very expensive.

Ziggyzag68

TDI
2000 golf tdi
Thanks guys i really appreciate all the feedback looks like I will need to be getting a new pump with as many miles as I have it may be even worth looking into a used engine and just swapping the whole thing any thoughts

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Thanks guys i really appreciate all the feedback looks like I will need to be getting a new pump with as many miles as I have it may be even worth looking into a used engine and just swapping the whole thing any thoughts
no way i'd replace that engine... you would introduce an entirely new set of variables and unknowns... the engine sounds fine, the pump is a long lasting part but needs periodic attention, just replace the pump and work on one issue at a time

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
There are only two sources of rebuilt pumps I would trust; here in the US Contact DFIS-PDX (DFIS Portland), and Dutch Auto Parts, one of the TDIClub approved vendors, whose prices include shipping to your door.