Injection pump problems

aherold

Veteran Member
My diesel injection pump went out in my '99 Jetta (80k mi). I did not feel like paying $1000 for a new one so i found a used one (w/ 12k mi) at an auto salvage yard and had it installed by my dealership. Now the engine sounds absolutely horrific, like a tractor! I have had many problems with my VW dealer, so i'm thinking it might be something they did. does anyone know if installing an injector pump is complex and requires some sort of calibration, or can a mechanic with little experience plop it in? i realize that the part may simply be faulty, but thought i might pose the question. Also can an injection pump be rebuilt? According to my dealership, they can't. Please let me know. Thanks

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
They can be rebuilt but not by the dealer, you need to find a Bosch service center.

How is the injection timing? If the engine runs but doesn't sound right, the pump could have been installed with the timing off.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Hi aherold, Like Brian said, have the injection timing checked out first by a clubmember who has a Vag-com to save you from dealing with the dealer. I would also check to see where the injection quantity is set at as well. If injection timing and IQ are within specs., you may want to remove the pump and send it in for rebuild. There are only a couple Bosch service centers that are set up to rebuild and properly calibrate these VE Pumps. I know one is in Charleston, SC and another in Missisaugga, Ont. There are some other independent shops that can perform and one that comes to mind is: Industry Diesel & Turbo Service, Ltd. in Oakville, Ontario. You can reach them at (800) 561-5003 contact: Rudy. The good thing about these guys is they will provide you with a ship to address in Bufalo, NY which will negate the hassels of customs and the like. I have never personally used these guys but, I did sell them a couple VE pump cores I had laying around. Their pricing seems reasonable and the turn around time is decent. I do however, find it hard to believe that the pump you got from the salvage yard with that low of mileage would be defective unless they allowed dirt to enter it somehow after removing it. Later!

aherold

Veteran Member
Thanks for your responses. I don't know if there's someone in my area with a Vag-com, so i'll probably have to take it to the dealer. is checking the timing pretty straightforward? if not, i could take it to a dealer in a larger city that actually has experience on diesel engines. btw my pump came from a cracked engine block--that wouldn't have any effect on the pump would it?

thanks also for the info on rebuilding. if its done by bosche, i wonder if they will guarantee parts and labor? i'll have to look into that. thanks again