Just bought 2011 Golf TDI; first thing(s) to do?

paxton

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I just bought a 2011 Golf TDI 2dr 6MT with 20k miles. It's out of warranty (age, not miles). As this is my first TDI, I am looking for initial steps to take to ensure the car is in good order and to ensure it will last as long as possible.

I bought it from Carmax with a fresh oil change, etc. It runs great. Plenty of power and wonderful handling.

I have VCDS.

Thanks for any guidance!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd change the oil again. I would seriously suspect whether or not Carmax used the correct oil and if they didn't you're jeopardizing the life of your exhaust emissions system. And it was due for a fuel filter change at 20K. If that's not been done, do it. Good that you have VCDS as you can use it to prefill the canister.

Other thing you might do is have it aligned. I've gotten into the habit of having cars aligned when I get them even if they drive fine. My '12 Golf was a bit out of alignment brand new, and it's not uncommon.

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
Your DPF/EGR system is still under warranty due to this being the emissions system. Should you have a HPFP failure, VW will more than likely cover that repair as well.

Ask me how I know...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yes, but a lot of people worry that if VW discovers the wrong oil in the engine they could deny a claim. I honestly can't imagine they'd ever figure it out, but if it were my car I'd be on the safe side and not tempt fate. Change the oil so you know you have the correct oil in there.

Requiescat In Pace
Burlington, NJ {35 minutes from Phila Int"l
TDI
all the TDI's on the lot
I just bought a 2011 Golf TDI 2dr 6MT with 20k miles. It's out of warranty (age, not miles). As this is my first TDI, I am looking for initial steps to take to ensure the car is in good order and to ensure it will last as long as possible.
I bought it from Carmax with a fresh oil change, etc. It runs great. Plenty of power and wonderful handling.
I have VCDS.
Thanks for any guidance!

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the family.

If you would like to put a VW Drive Easy warranty here is my thread detailing it.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=406765

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
Yes, but a lot of people worry that if VW discovers the wrong oil in the engine they could deny a claim. I honestly can't imagine they'd ever figure it out, but if it were my car I'd be on the safe side and not tempt fate. Change the oil so you know you have the correct oil in there.
I wasn't suggesting not to change the oil, I would do that as soon as I brought it home myself! Just wanted the OP to know that while the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty is up, there are still some protections. I think the DSG carries a 80,000 mile warranty provided you do the service at 40,000 miles? Someone please correct me on this.