US/Metric all-in-one

kenargo

TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagen w/Nav, Sunroof, DSG
Why in the world did they change to having a single type speedometer but that just so happens to be the one thing I miss from my Passat, Does anyone know if there happens to be a speedometer that has the US with a metric overlay built-in? Yes, I know you can set the MDF to show the metric values but that is so unnatural to me (to look 1 place for 1 speed and another for another), not to mention how much smaller the numbers are in the MDF for speed.

I really want to swap out the speedometer if I can!

Thanks

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Or better yet, let's kick out the inches, feet, miles,nautical miles, pounds, ounce, cups, degrees (which freeze at 32 and boil at 212 rather than 0 and 100……

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Why in the world did they change to having a single type speedometer but that just so happens to be the one thing I miss from my Passat, Does anyone know if there happens to be a speedometer that has the US with a metric overlay built-in? Yes, I know you can set the MDF to show the metric values but that is so unnatural to me (to look 1 place for 1 speed and another for another), not to mention how much smaller the numbers are in the MDF for speed.

I really want to swap out the speedometer if I can!

Thanks
I guess you drive up to Canada that much it bothers you?

I think you're SOL (even the UK version is single scale), unless you find someone to make a custom overlay

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Why in the world did they change to having a single type speedometer but that just so happens to be the one thing I miss from my Passat, Does anyone know if there happens to be a speedometer that has the US with a metric overlay built-in?
Your best bet is to get an app (iPhone or Android) that does this for you and mount it to your dash. I don't know if any of the off-the-shelf GPS units have a dual-unit speedo but this would also work of course.

kenargo

TDI
I guess you drive up to Canada that much it bothers you?

I think you're SOL (even the UK version is single scale), unless you find someone to make a custom overlay
Yea, we go to Canada most quite a bit during the Winter, bummer about what they did, makes no sense to me but...

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
cant you just use digital readout to show KM's and your regular odometer will show Miles

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
You might like a Scangauge II or Scangauge E. This is an easy to install second gauge; Scangauge II has 4 simultaneous vehicle parameters and Scangauge E has 2 simultaneous parameters.

Most VWs (and many other vehicles) display water temperature incorrectly. In the older VWs, this means that when your thermostat fails the car will be running cold, but the gauge will be indicating "ideal temperature". The gauges are usually programmed to stay completely still within a 30-50 deg F range.

That's just one example of why it's nice to have a scangauge. It's also good for letting you know your REAL speed (rather than the inflated speed shown by the dash speedometer). OH, and of course... you can have it read out in KM or MPH!!! (or MPG, MAF, IAT, GPH, VLT, etc...)

Last edited:

kenargo

TDI
cant you just use digital readout to show KM's and your regular odometer will show Miles

I mentioned that above that I am doing that today but I fund 2 issues with that solution: 1, the numbers are small and on a somewhat busy screen and it isn't the 1st screen I look at; the speedometer is the 1st screen.

kenargo

TDI
You might like a Scangauge II or Scangauge E. This is an easy to install second gauge; Scangauge II has 4 simultaneous vehicle parameters and Scangauge E has 2 simultaneous parameters.

Most VWs (and many other vehicles) display water temperature incorrectly. In the older VWs, this means that when your thermostat fails the car will be running cold, but the gauge will be indicating "ideal temperature". The gauges are usually programmed to stay completely still within a 30-50 deg F range.

That's just one example of why it's nice to have a scangauge. It's also good for letting you know your REAL speed (rather than the inflated speed shown by the dash speedometer). OH, and of course... you can have it read out in KM or MPH!!! (or MPG, MAF, IAT, GPH, VLT, etc...)

Thanks, I took a look at images and it looks like it would suffer the same issue I have with the MDF; display size. I feel a clean display is best for the quick look to check speed and taking time to evaluate a display takes away from that, Additionally it would still be in an unfamiliar location (which is why I was really hoping for a dual speedometer (1 stop shopping and all)..

Fordcougar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (SOLD)
I mentioned that above that I am doing that today but I fund 2 issues with that solution: 1, the numbers are small and on a somewhat busy screen and it isn't the 1st screen I look at; the speedometer is the 1st screen.
Small? I think you may be looking at the wrong screen then.

There is a screen in the MFI that shows speed its probably 5-8 times(about 1-1.5inchs(2.54-3.81cm) the size of the numbers on the analog guage.

Right now that seems to be your first and quickest option other than:
memorizing the conversion to MPH
installing a iphone/gps in your line of sight.

Maybe you could scribble to numbers on the stock gauges or just the plexi in front of it.(just kidding)

I just fired off an email, seeing cost from Blackcat.. they did my last gauges.

Last edited:

kenargo

TDI
Small? I think you may be looking at the wrong screen then.

There is a screen in the MFI that shows speed its probably 5-8 times(about 1-1.5inchs(2.54-3.81cm) the size of the numbers on the analog guage.

Right now that seems to be your first and quickest option other than:
memorizing the conversion to MPH
installing a iphone/gps in your line of sight.

Maybe you could scribble to numbers on the stock gauges or just the plexi in front of it.(just kidding)

I just fired off an email, seeing cost from Blackcat.. they did my last gauges.
I'm guessing the 2012 may be different; the alternate speed is quite small; about 1/4" and I haven't seen any of the MFD screens that offered anything larger but if they did that would be quite helpful.

Note: I pretty much have the conversion in my head but when you are going through a speed trap it's easy to forget to convert. My phone has a GPS based speed program but I'm was hoping for a more practical solution.

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
do the new jsw's have the new jetta's screen? I know the new jetta has a budget screen which is a lot smaller than golf. reading the digital speedo is very hard.

Kenargo,

does your jsw MFI show direction, speed cruise control is set too, air temp all the time?

kenargo

TDI
Yes, the screen is quite full with lots of stuff leaving only a small space for the speed.

Fordcougar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (SOLD)
So I just heard back from Blackcat custom Gauges.
Thank you for contacting us. We do plan on adding the 2009-2011 Jetta to our gauge face lineup, however the factory gauge face is contoured and at this time we can only make a flat gauge face. We are working on a cost effective solution for contoured faces but at this time do not have a definitive timeline on this. Please check back or check our website for updates.
Thank you.
I had to go out and look closely, I hadn't noticed but the edge is beveled up around the edge.. Making it tough to make guages, and potentially expensive(but what isn't expensive on these cars)

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
do the new jsw's have the new jetta's screen? I know the new jetta has a budget screen which is a lot smaller than golf. reading the digital speedo is very hard.

Kenargo,

does your jsw MFI show direction, speed cruise control is set too, air temp all the time?
No, it doesn't have the Jetta/NMS Passat/Polo screen