Auto owners. how many miles on your stock transmission?

sundownz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
You recode the soft coding of the TCM. It is in DSP mode by default. DSP (Dynamic Shift Program) switches automatically between Sport and Economy, based on the driver's behavior... this is sometimes known as 'fuzzy logic'. Problem is, Germans don't really know how an automatic is supposed to work anyways, and when the DSP is enabled, the shift mapping on the 01M often gets a little disconnected feeling and erratic. Basically, DSP IMHO adds insult to injury on a transmission that is already by design predisposed to being goofy. By setting it in either Sport or Economy, based on your specific taste, the TCM will make the shift mapping behave more predictably. Otherwise, it is almost a necessity to clear the TCM's shift tables at every service to reset its fuzzy logic, or they just start to shift strange.

To me, if you drive a lot of highway and not much stop and go, putting the TCM in Economy mode works fine. If you do a lot of city, or a mixture of either, Sport mode works better. And it is not just the 01M that is like this, the 01L and 01V is like this as well. My Passat has had its TCM in Sport mode since about 1 hour after I bought it 6.5 years ago. :)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=94046&highlight=TCM+program

Is this the correct process to lock the TCM into sport or economy ?

The way the thread sounds it should do the trick -- I think I will try this as mine shifts oddly at times.

Last edited:

sundownz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I've got 156k on my 01M right now. The car had 43k on it when I bought it used and I did my first fluid change at about 65k along with the Kerma mod on it. I've changed the fluid and filter about every 30k, and thus far it's been running fine. I'll probably swap in a manual when this goes, but I'll run this as long as I can.

RndmGuy06

TDI
2002 Jetta
2002 Jetta 235k

I have 235xxx with no issues but I know the TB blew and repairs made at 163k. I am doing my TB and Titan 502s are on order. We'll see how long she lasts! Any ideas on where to buy a used 5speed without a complete parts car?

bhardy23

TDI
2001 Golf
I have 123,000. I bought the car used and replaced the fluid and filter at 121,xxx. It had a very slight delay in forward/reverse engagement. Seems to be a lot better now. I will probably change fluid agin in 15, 20 thousand miles and may do a Valve body upgrade at that time. Currently no issues

porshh

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI Manual
I have 211k on mine - but already have a problem with Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch

TTBalticBlueMKIV

TDI
03' Golf TDI
158k on my odometer. I bought the car with 157k on the clock. The 01m does great for the greif ive read up on them. Unfortunately I couldnt speak to the previous owner. So here comes TB,trans refreshen, oil, other fluids, and random maintenance ahead. ;-( I don't trust what stealerships tell me.

snidley

TDI
Jetta 2002
01m rebuilt

I have a 02 jetta GLS, took the tranny up to 228000 miles on original fluid and filter. I thought going to aamco would be ok due to past buss with them. Needed the car, rush into repair. Cost of rebuild was approx 2900.00. Now have hard 1 2 shift. AAmco claims now I need new TCM , then have programmed by VW. Just infor, also would appericate anybodys input.

Thanks snidley

dieselnewbie

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Currently at 302,000 miles on the auto with no issues to date. Did change fluid and filter at last timing belt change (200,000 miles) though - just as a precaution...

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
158k miles on mine. I think I might be starting to have some tcc issues and am considering valve body repair. On the whole it shifts OK, but after reading this thread I am anxious to try recoding the TCM.

One question, turning the DSP off and locking it into sport or economy seem to be two different things. Can anyone clarify?

Last edited:

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
2000: 115700 and I just swapped it out due to rough 4-3 shifts and occasional slippage.

2001: 136000 and starting to show some signs of being tired. Previous owner had it "rebuilt" by Aamco :rolleyes: at 110000, I had Aamco "fix" it again at 117000...

NewOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
155k Miles dead right after (~2k miles later) I changed the transmission fluid and filter. Before the transmission fluid change never had issues.

gogasfree

TDI
2000 VW Beetle
Acquired 2000 Beetle w/ 122K miles. It had a new top end. (Previous owner let the timing belt break.) Serviced for delayed shifting shortly thereafter. Don't know what they did -- ATF & filter change? -- but it worked. Now, at 189K, the reverse is dead. Won't kick in at all. Got a $3000 quote for a manual swap from a good local shop. Dealer wants "$4500 to $5000" for a new AT and wouldn't even quote a manual swap. Car is rough and probably could only sell for $4000 if in good shape, so I'm done with it. Hope to get close to $1000 on eBay as-is. At least it drives in all forward gears.

Shaggy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS Jetta sedan
I swapped mine for a manual at 250k, it was still working but was getting slow in engaging drive.

adamek

TDI
2002 VW TDI Beetle, 2012 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI
158k miles on mine. I think I might be starting to have some tcc issues and am considering valve body repair. On the whole it shifts OK, but after reading this thread I am anxious to try recoding the TCM.
When I get the P0740 code, I spray the solenoid with WD40 (the "WD" stands for water displacement, it was originally designed to dry out radio sets in World War II). I get the P0740 code most often in wet weather.

189k on my 2002 VW Beetle TDI. I need to get my transmission looked at or replaced sometime. It won't deliver any torque any more. If I put the accelerator more than halfway down it just downshifts and revs to near redline.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
156,340. How do I know? It's sitting on jack stands right now, waiting for its head. Plenty of time to sit in the driver's seat & dream!!

TDI Mason

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta tdi wagon
About 146,500 mi on mine. At about 145,000 It had a little TC slippage before locking up at highway speeds so I changed the fluid and filter which had never been done according to the original owner and there was no metal in the fluid and hardly any on the magnet. Now the slippage is gone and she is working strong. I will be doing a manual swap when it does inevitably bite the dust...

c2020again

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
99,000 on 2001 Jetta. It hesitates ever so slightly when engaging in drive or reverse. Otherwise it works great. I'm going to set my code to 00011 and set how it does.

funkmaster

TDI
2003 VW Jetta GLS
170k miles on mine, replaced wiring harness at 160k after solenoid code popped up, replaced filter and did trani flush then as well, no other problems. Coolair hooked me up with parts.