Front End Noise and Subframe

armyschus

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI, Blue Silk Metalic, 6M
I have a 2005 Jetta TDI. I have replaced the struts with Bilstien heavy duty strutsol arms with ECS arms and poly bushings, the sway bar end links, the strut bushings and bearings. When moving forward or back from a stop in either a strait line or turning to the left of the right, I hear a popping and snapping sound from the front of the car and from both sides. I have verified that the CV joints and all intact. The car has an Evolution aluminum skid plate installed. It is held in place at the back of the subframe with three bolts and rivet nuts. The from of the skid plate is mounted to the frame with more bolts, rivet nuts, and a mounting assembly. If the subframe bushings are worn, can the subframe move enough to cause twisting and movement of the aluminum skid plate which is the sources of the noise I am hearing?

The car holds the alignment. Local VW dealer says there is a bad bushing on the driver side LCA. I have had them installed less than 6 months and the bushing look fine to me. I am also hearing noise from both sides of the car.

Anyone have some subframe bushing experiences?

I am considering installing subframe bushings from Tyrolsport. http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspension/vw-mk4-solid-subframe-bushings/

Rich

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Might want to check the tightness of the control arm bolts, especially the rear bolts for the hockey-puck looking bushing...

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Matt-should those bolts have any ability to tighten further when checking them (I'm not sure of their torque values)? Or can I put a socket on them and assume if I move the bolts at all, that they were loose?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
They need serious leverage to get torqued to the correct amount. A fairly long 1/2" drive ratchet is preferred.

The spec is 70 newton-meters (about 52 ft-lbs) plus 90 degrees when using new bolts. That's quite high...

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I had the same issue, it lasted for a year. I finally just retorqued the subframe bolts and all is good.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
The tyrolsport solution fixed for good in my case

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I didnt notice this was a mk5 post when i replied. It was just a general search. All the bolts are torqued right. Will be checking the subframe bolts as I havent had those off. I got a acting up AC control valve now I gotta get to soon now.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I don't like poly bushings on a street car, they wear out prematurely and cause all kinds of noises.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Try removing the skidplate and then see if you can reproduce the noises. Some people have skidplates that flex and make lots of noise. Maybe that is the problem you are hearing.

Cheers,

PH