CV Axle offerings

Kman308

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW 2.0 DSG
Can someone explain the CV axle offerings on ECS tuning's website, or the reason there is such a difference in price between brands? I understand OEM is most expensive, the $101 axle seems cheap, and I can't read anything about the middle brand, although it's close enough to OEM in price that it's almost a moot point to go the mid route. Any opinions? I've read several posts out there about not buying "Chinese junk." I would tend to agree... However, on the other hand, why would I pay $320 for one OEM CV axle (and this may be simply ECS's steep pricing - I haven't checked my local stealership or another source) when the OEM axle I currently have didn't make it to 80k miles? I could make a point to try the $101 axle and see if it makes it as far as the original axle. Just looking for opinions here. But if so many will slam cheap parts, and the OEM and engineering we pay so dearly for and actually brag upon won't make it to 100k - it SUX. I got some good answers already from Raxles who gave me a great quote for my 2009 JSW in the $250 range. Anyone with Raxles experience? Thanks for your input.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
can't go wrong with Raxles. the best aside from the original.

Chinese crap will vibrate and fail again. It's happened to me and i've seen it many times with outer people

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
can't go wrong with Raxles. the best aside from the original.

Chinese crap will vibrate and fail again. It's happened to me and i've seen it many times with outer people

Kman308

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW 2.0 DSG
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know the axle nut size on the 2009/MK5 and the torque specs once it's time to tighten when the job's almost done? Also, would a new axle nut need to be used for the job?

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
looking at my bentley it has 2 different bolts, a 12 piont or a 6 point. it says to always replace. no weight on wheel with bolt loose or will damage bearing.

hex bolt..... tighten to 148 ft lb (200 NM) then set car down on wheel to final torque of an additional 1/2 turn

12 point bolt..... tighten to 52 ft lbs (70 NM), then set car on wheels and an additional 1/4 turn

book says to use an assistant holding the brakes for first torque.

Kman308

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW 2.0 DSG
Thanks JetLag,
Exactly what I needed! Raxles will send torque specs and the new hardware boxed with the new cv axle. And Marty from Raxles is saying my car should have the 12 point 24 mm axle bolt/nut, so I'm relieved that I don't need to find a 14' fence post to lay down the 148 ft# + 1/2 turn! Hahahahaha! My non-impact 12'point socket should handle the 52 ft.# +1/4 turn.