Bad BP fuel costing $3200+ HELP!

ntiguy85

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Lengthy post..but i NEED HELP. I filled up at a BP station and drove about 5-10 miles that evening and next morning and the car (2015 Jetta TDI) cut of driving down the road and that was all she wrote. I had it towed in and the dealership tested the fuel first after contacting VW reps and found the fuel was contaminated. Drained and cleaned fuel tank, flushed fuel lines, replaced fuel filter, chemically cleaned injectors, 5 new gallons of fuel ($800). Car didnt run. Was told the high pressure pump was bad due to bad fuel and it ruined it. Replaced HPFP ($1700). Car didnt run. Car then had fuel pressure but not enough to run. Was then told that the bad fuel also ruined the fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator. Replacing that now ($750). Thats $3250. Did i mention the car is out of warranty? FML!! Im livid and want some advice. I have contacted BP and filed a claim but they stated that i still have to pay out of pocket for the damages and send in the required docs before they will start to investigate and then decide (after a min of 45 days) if they will pay for the damages ensued by their bad fuel. I am a prior ford mechanic and know my stuff but this seems to be parts replacing at this point. I would like to know if anyone has any thoughts or advice on what could be next if i find out Monday that it still doesnt run or if anyone had had bad fuel in a 2.0 CR and experienced anything like this.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Search "HPFP failure". Happens a lot.

Your comprehensive insurance may cover the incident also.

Yeah, that fix is costly as the high cost fuel system parts go south.

Good luck!

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Sorry to hear!

Is the BP station located along a major route and get a lot of diesel truck traffic? If not, the HPFP may have become another victim of water ingestion :eek: from condensation in the fuel. :eek:

The fuel at stations that rarely get any diesel truck traffic can be months old and pick up a lot of water and have microbial growth due to the water. A single tank of water contaminated fuel from a station that rarely gets any diesel truck traffic is all it takes to do a lot of damage in a very short time. This is why I say to fuel up ONLY at high diesel turnover stations along major routes to avoid getting a tank of watery fuel. Go where the big rigs go to fuel up.

Sorry to hear. Good luck.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
How many miles are on this car? I'm actually surprised you are out of warranty (did you not do ANY of the emissions fixes??) AND beyond that, if you have documentation that it was the fuel, bought from the BP station, they should be 100% on the hook for this.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Did you ever get this resolved?
Curious as well. The OP says HE fuelled up. His problem sounds more like he mistakenly filled up with gasoline. That's what it sounds like to me, drove home and next morning the car stopped on him.
I've been driving Diesel cars for over 25 years and have filled up all over N.A including Mexico and have yet to experience real bad Diesel. At least none that stopped me right away.
On a past 1995 Passat TD I was lacking power and the cause was a very clogged up fuel filter, probably picked up from several contaminated fuel fill-ups.

My .02 worth

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I doubt it was filled with gasoline on account of him driving 5-10 miles before it died.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I doubt it was filled with gasoline on account of him driving 5-10 miles before it died.
Au contrare, exactly what you would get from the fuel in the lines and filter before enough gasoline would come down the pipes to effectively shut the engine down!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Au contrare, exactly what you would get from the fuel in the lines and filter before enough gasoline would come down the pipes to effectively shut the engine down!
Wrong. if it was topped off on an almost empty tank it might only go about 3 blocks if filled with gas. Remember that fuel is continuously being recirculated back to the tank and mixing with what ever is in the tank.

Last edited:

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Wrong. if it was topped off on an almost empty tank it might only go about 3 blocks if filled with gas. Remember that fuel is continuously being recirculated back to the tank and mixing with what ever is in the tank.

No, Jetta_Pilot is correct. While fuel IS continuously being circulated, the flow rate is relatively low. My wife made it a little over 20 miles before the E85 she filled the tank with made it to the engine in sufficient quantity to shut it down. Car had a CP3 on it, so no harm - no foul. Pumped it out, put diesel in, drive on. :cool:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
No, Jetta_Pilot is correct. While fuel IS continuously being circulated, the flow rate is relatively low. My wife made it a little over 20 miles before the E85 she filled the tank with made it to the engine in sufficient quantity to shut it down. Car had a CP3 on it, so no harm - no foul. Pumped it out, put diesel in, drive on. :cool:
Ouch! Good thing you had that insurance policy in place. I'd say, "I hope you took her keys away" but I've been married for awhile..... I know better than that. Ha ha :D