Water seperator....Where do I drain it?

dnk

Veteran Member
the water separator, such as it is, is integral to the fuel filter. there is a small, plastic knob on the bottom of the fuel filter. it's usually white in color.

unscrewing this knob will allow whatever has settled to the bottom of the fuel filter to be drained out. i'll advise you to be very cautious with this plastic knob. it's not very rugged - and cracks easily. it seems like they get brittle over time.

i'm yet to find any water in my filters, but i certainly can't hurt to check, especially this time of year.

i hope that helps. if you need assistance locating the fuel filter, i'm afraid i can't be much help. i know the beetles pretty well, but i'm not familiar with your model. i'm sure someone else will chime in shortly and fill in the gaps i've left.

good luck!

mark

Karmann-diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
Kris, I think you will have to remove the fuel return check valve on top of the filter to drain the water out. Probably the best bet is to loosen up the clamp bracket so you can slide the filter up to work on it. Then remove the spring clip on top of the filter & pull the return check valve or "T" valve up & out of the filter. Then open up the drain valve on the bottom of the filter into a cup or something. If you just open the drain valve without removing the "T" valve the filter is under a vacuum & nothing will drain out. You have to allow air to come in the top to displace the liquid you are draining from the bottom. Then you can refill the filter through the "T" valve opening with Powerservice or something similar to get rid of the airspace. Reinstall the "T" valve & you're all set.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Caution: Do not overtighten. I snapped mine while it was still turning fairly easily against the synthetic washer. Had to replace it wiith a metric bolt the same size.