For those who have Upgraded to the OEM VW NAVI

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Brian,

Guess what's on it's way to me?

Brian, I need you to prepare the wiring. I'm hoping that next weekend, during the lunch that we can plug it in and see if it works. I think We'll need an SKC for it. We then need to figure out how to program the darn thing.

It used a 12-pin connector, I'll try to find the part. It's the same type as the third connector on the cluster, or the same as the driver's side window switch.

I think it's 4A0 972 883 using 000 979 003

L

penclnck

So how did you come up with that part number? Or is it sort of best guess on that part number?

My problem now is getting the freaking GPS cable that goes from the triplex antenna to the Navi unit for my wagon. None of the part numbers I've tried turn up as good, and no phone calls have been returned to me from 3rd party sellers.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B,

I think you've got the wiring diagrams for the Navi with TCM. Just concentrate on the Navi end and leave the wires long enough to reach behind the glove box.

The TCM is small, slightly smaller than the CCM. It can go anywhere.

Pencilneck, call Dan at Hillside Imports, he can help you out.

L

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, the TMC-Box must have 4 wires for the Can-Bus thing (total of 2 diffrent Can-Buses)...

Here is the wiring for the 12Pin connector for the TMC-Box (at least for the Audi):

Pin#2: CAN Low, goes to the Can-L wire in the back of your Double Din...

Pin#3: CAN High, goes to the Can-H wire in the back of your Double Din...

Pin#6: +12 Volt...

Pin#8: CAN Low (info): Connect a wire from this pin, to Pin#26 of the 26 pin connector...
Pin#9 CAN High (info): Connect a wire from this pin, to Pin#13 of the 26 pin connector...

Pin 5 should be the speed signal from Pin 3 of the blue cluster connector
Pin 17 should be the backup or reverse signal from the ECU

Pin#12: Ground...

VW should be the same... When i did that, i can see "TMC" in the MFD screen...

It's the Audi wiring. There is a second set of Canbus connections with the Audi's.

L

strohj

I have the D version of the Nav and I also have the full display cluster (with the red connector in the back) and I cannot get my Nav to display any info on the cluster... I cannot get into the NAV with my VAG-Com to change any coding.. but i can however change the coding on my cluster.. is it possible the coding on my cluster is wrong?

strohj

the soft code on my cluster is 07234 ... I did read the whole thread.. I also found another link on clubb5.com that says you need to change the value in channel 62 on the cluster to the sum of the following:

1 Radio
2 Telephone
4 Navigation
8 Telematics

But this was for a Audi though... I tried it but my VAG-com stated that channel 62 is not available

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Change your cluster software coding to 23234

I'll Assume that you've got the red connector wired to the Navi, right?

L

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Yes, I have that adapter. But his setup isn't for cars with upgraded clusters and he never addresses this problem.
Brian

Just wanted to add that this adapter is available here in the US and there is no need to order it from Germany and pay a huge markup.
Do you have the number for the Monsson adapter? Where did you get it here in the US?

slappy

TDI
Golf TDI (PD) Indigo Blue
Hey there - anyone know what is up with vwnavi.com?? Has been offline for several days now. I just received my MFD and was hoping to use it as a source for info as the installation gets underway. Cheers, Mike

Chasone

Veteran Member
TDI
2001, Golf, Red
Help!!! Help!!!

I have a 2001 with the small display sport cluster (Immob II).
Can I use a Navi version "G"? I don't care about reading out on the cluster because I would have to change it (to a large pixel, and use a "D" Navi), correct?

The main question is Can I use a "G" Navi on my car without the display on the Immob II cluster? Will I have all the funtionality except for cluster readout?

If anyone thinks I should stick with a "D" version please explain why.

Thanks in advance for the help

Charles

penclnck

Little update here on the CD changer adaptor for those who had the double DIN headunits.... I've got some parts on order. I can't find a housing that would be a direct fit, so I've ordered a housing that is a close fit and will machine it down.

Big problem I've run into is the crimping. I can get the crimping pliers body for $60-ish, but then to get a single pair of dies is like > $200 and I would only need about 10 different sets of dies if I really wanted to be able to cover all wire gauges/terminal combos.

Anyway, I'm hoping to be able to make 2 CD changer adaptors when I get my order in, will update when worth updating.

20AE0911

FYI. You can order the single DIN CD changer cable from the dealer as a separate part (1J0 051 592 A) and then just cut-and-paste this pigtail onto the double din harness in the car. Cost for the cable is about $75. Thats alot for just a connector but it sounds as if it might be cheaper than crimping tools, dies, etc. It may also be possible to find one of these cables from a wrecked golf made in Germany.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
DC-TDIWagon:

What's the latest status with your efforts on the TMC and the FIS? Have you/Lito given it a shot yet? I'm looking at getting the G unit, but have the high-pixel and I'd like to get that FIS working with it, of course. I also see that you're in the same county I am...

- hoffer

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
The TMC pictured above does not work. It may just be the wrong one. I've been trying to get a hold of a wiring diagram for a new european passat or Bora that shows how the TMC is wired in them to see if any VW cars use the CAN bus like I think they have to. Once I find a car that's wired right, then I can try to figure out the correct part number for the TMC that goes to that car.

So you get to overpay for housing and deal with crap traffic too?
Brian

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Hmm, bummer on the TMC. I think I'm going to go ahead and grab a G unit tonight since I can get a good price on one. I'm sure we'll be able to figure out the whole can bus things sooner or later. Sooner, I hope.

I forgot, did you have a Monsoon system or not? I don't, just the standard double-DIN gamma unit. Well one thing at a time, first I gotta get the NAV unit in.

I'm kind of lucky on both counts. My commute is against traffic on 66 for two exits. And I have a ridiculously cheap rent. On the down side, buying a NAV unit makes buying a house that much harder...

- hoffer

penclnck

Never ever heard any word back from 3 or 4 different places about the cable needed for the GSP antenna. How much did people here in the States pay for that cable?

Now then, along with the CD changer harness adaptor bits I've got on order, I've also ordered a plug fitting that may be the correct one for the Navi GPS. I'd have to crimp it to 50 Ohm cable, not a big deal.

Lastly, I find this "neat". On your double DIN head units, the AM/FM antenna uses the same plug as the Navi GPS plug, so one could take a plain double DIN AM/FM antenna cable, and crimp on new fitting for the antenna GPS base end. I just learned this today.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Anyone have any experience using the cell phone portion of the triplex antenna? Anyone know what kind of gain to expect in the cellular band, or even the PCS band? At least unity would make a huge diffence, but I would be hoping for a 3 dB gain, at least in the cellular band. I guess I could always take it to a Verizon store and have them do a sweep once I have it installed. And can one pick up a triplex antenna?

- hoffer

penclnck

Good news everyone! I got the stuff in I need to make the CD changer pigtail adaptor for my double DIN wiring harness. The housing I got is the correct thickness and depth, but is way to wide and will have to be machined down, and then notched twice so it will lock into the pigtail adaptor I purchased... that will be the easy part. I've got the correct terminals as well, but no way to crimp them at this time. Hope to get some answers on that problem tomarrow. If this works out, how many of you would be interested in this?

I also got the correct connector for the GPS hookup on the back of the Navi unit, looks like I'll finally have the GPS cable problem solved.

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey
Pencil. i bought that harness adapter from circuit city. I am trying to figure what plugs and what kind of wiring will have to be done to plug it into my nav. can you help