2011 VW Golf TDI - problems starting/not starting

airstreamer

TDI
golf 2011 tdi
i got the car in october and for the last month it either has troubles starting (like it takes 5-7s to start) or doesn't start and needs a jump if i leave it sitting for more than 24hrs.

i've brought it to a dealership and they've said the battery is holding a charge fine and they can't find any issues with it. they want to give it back to me, but they haven't done anything to it.

obviously there's an issue... it's a new car and i basically need to have a "boost" available if i leave the car sitting for more than a day.

thoughts? suggestions? i'm not sure what to do, since the VW dealership says they've run all the diagnostics they can and come up empty-handed in terms of being able to find a problem. but a new car should be able to start if it's left for a day.

i live in a temperate climate too, so even though it's winter, it's never below freezing.

airstreamer

TDI
golf 2011 tdi
@cogenman - they're looking at it for free (since it is under warranty), but since they can't find any issues, they're saying there's nothing to fix. i'd say they should replace the battery but if it's not the battery... not sure.

ha - isn't this always the way things work? something breaks on your, but when a professional looks at it, it's working fine? ;)

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Are you aware of the Intercooling icing problem these rigs are having. Not saying this is the problem but this would/could cause a no start on a cold engine. Even with the temps. you folks see in BC it can happen.
Is there another VW dealership close by that you can take it to ?

A little reading for ya.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302863&highlight=intercooler+icing

This TSB is for the States. I don't believe Canada has such a TSB. But they are sure aware of the problem. At least my VW dealership in Kingston, Ontario is.

Here's another good thread.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199398

Last edited: