TDI Recall and Stop Sale notice.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Am I blind? I don't see any PDF or images on the first page...
Your eyes are working right.

There was a copy and paste from Sandsdiesel in the first post - then he/she added the PDF's and then they were removed. Like JSWTDI09 said - only Sandsdiesel knows why and who.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
you guys realize how hard it is to get leaking diesel to ignigte, right?

The sky isnt falling. Your car isnt going to ignite into a fireball as you drive down the road. But this needs to be fixed asap.
Hmmmmmmmm,I guess you have never seen a fine mist of diesel thats pressurize catch fire?

Last edited:

CryoTech

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 tdi sportwagen
Not really no. But I have limped a diesel Halftrack with a busted fuel line with a rag wrapped around it back to MP.

And a broken piece of tubing shouldnt cause an atomized mist.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Checked my build date...3/09. So I guess I'm in the clear.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If you look at a ALH engine, the little clamps on the fuel lines are actually vibration dampers. Designed to prevent the exact same type of failure seen on the CR's. Should not be a big deal to fix. Change shape of fuel line or add dampers and weights.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Nope, not in 45+ years of operating a diesel.......

Bill
Although the below article is talking about heavy trucks. The same conditions appy to any diesel vehicle. And we all know how HOT the DPF gets under the hood.

The diesel fuel injection system of a heavy truck has the potential to become a fuel source for a fire. Two basic types of diesel fuel systems are used in today’s vehicles: high- and low-pressure fuel injection systems. Many high-pressure systems develop pressures well above 1,000 pounds per square inch (psi). If a diesel fuel leak occurs under this amount of pressure, the fuel will be very finely divided and atomized, which heightens its susceptibility to ignition. Even in a low-pressure system of 70 to 150 psi can cause diesel fuel to be expelled long distances and easily atomized. If this condition occurs in the presence of the heat produced by the exhaust system, a fire is likely.

Last edited:

TDIadvocate

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Injector diesel fuel leakage etc

Earlier today I saw a copy of the recall notice now I can no longer find it, can you help me find it. Injectors 1 and 2 from passenger side of vehicle are leaking on mine four weeks old, 3,600 miles, also driver fendor well from engine compartment side has a sticky substance, like diesel fuel in it or on it. The well has a portion with light green paint and it smells and is oily like diesel fuel ????

I am going to dealer tomorrow morning I would like to be prepared.

SandDiesel

TDI
Earlier today I saw a copy of the recall notice now I can no longer find it, can you help me find it. Injectors 1 and 2 from passenger side of vehicle are leaking on mine four weeks old, 3,600 miles, also driver fendor well from engine compartment side has a sticky substance, like diesel fuel in it or on it. The well has a portion with light green paint and it smells and is oily like diesel fuel ????

I am going to dealer tomorrow morning I would like to be prepared.
Sticky substance is likely cosmoline or similar to prevent corrosion and will wear off in time.

Last edited:

astoryatthree

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6mt
Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/ and do a search for the Jettas. They have the explanation there and say they will fix it by putting dampers on all four injection lines as a precautionary measure.

Also, the fixes will begin rolling out as soon as they have the parts in stock and notifications will be delivered in November.

Last edited:

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
I just picked my 2012 Comfortline Jetta TDI up on Saturday with 47 Kms on it, and I just checked on the VW.CA site and yes there is a 23J9 recall for diesel fuel lines on my vehicle already. I was hoping that all the bugs would be sorted out in the first model year but I should have waited until the third I guess.... It still is a great car to drive and feels very solid, I would rather a car company be proactive and issue a recall than hide it in a TSB and only fix the ones that break - which seems to be what most North American car makers do.

Still very happy with the car although last year they used Hankook Optimo tires, which I like, but this year they put on Bridgestone Turanza EL400s which don't seem to be as good, the UTQC is only 300 so they will wear quite fast.

Last edited:

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Some of the articles that I have seen say they affect all CR TDI's from Sept 2008-Sept 2011 build dates, but the Autospies image posted here shows only some build months.

Can anyone clear this up?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3561681

I have an alert set up on the NHTSA site to email me if any of my cars are in a recall. Here's their email but not sure if that link will work, so added the actual webpage below it. You'll have to click on the documnet search button and then open the Defect Notice for the VIN listing.

Please click on the following NHTSA Campaign ID links to view the recall information.

NHTSA Campaign ID Number :11V490Manufacturer :VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INCMake / Model Years :AUDI / 2010-2012
VOLKSWAGEN / 2009-2012Subject : DIESEL FUEL INJECTION LINES
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=11V490&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true&refurl=email

JThiessen

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sedan LE, DSG
It can. But like your corn starch example, you must put it in a fairly precise environment.

.......If this condition occurs in the presence of the heat produced by the exhaust system, a fire is likely.
not likely, but possible...

Hmmmmmmmm,I guess you have never seen a fine mist of diesel thats pressurize catch fire?
Never. Had two #4 injector lines burst on my Dodge HPCR over the years. Drove each time for a minimum of 18 miles with no fire or explosion.
Even though the fuel may be under high pressure, it is still not compressed enough to catch fire unless it contacts a significant heat source prior to it stablizing in the ambient air.

As was stated above, HPCR systems are susceptible to failures of fatigue/cracking on the lines since they are made from a hard alloy, which while it resists the internal rigors of the high pressure fuel with little wear, it does not handle flexing very well.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Some of the articles that I have seen say they affect all CR TDI's from Sept 2008-Sept 2011 build dates, but the Autospies image posted here shows only some build months.

Can anyone clear this up?
This will help.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2011/V/RCDNN-11V490-9955.pdf

Look at page 3 section 573.6.(c) (8) Proposed Remedial Program.

It says all cars will get resonance dampeners, but only certain build dates will get new fuel lines.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. This is the problem with having 7 different threads about the same recall - the information is spread all over the place.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
P.S. This is the problem with having 7 different threads about the same recall - the information is spread all over the place.
Would be great if someone consolidated all these threads into one.

JettersTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I brought in my car to the dealer for the recall, and I guess mine only needed the rubber dampeners (4 total). I have a 2012 with only 400 miles.

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
I just received my recall as well, took 10 minutes to fix, they just put the rubber dampeners on. Mine is a 2012 with less than 350 Kms. The service desk said they had limited parts at the moment but more were expected next week.

300six

TDI
2012 TDI Jetta Sedan
I have been hassling my service rep about this, but he says my car isn't part of recall. When I plug in the VIN to VW's website, it says there are no active recalls on my car.

I find that hard to believe, given that it's a brand spankin' new 2012 purchased 09/30/2011 and must have been built within the date range shown on the recall notice.

I can't check my door tag for mo. of manufacture right now since the car is back at the dealer for unrelated injector issues.

It looks I'll be waiting until November for the fix.

My folks have a 2011 A3 TDI, so it will be interesting to find out when they are called in for the recall.

I'll post updates as soon as I find out.

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
300six, mine was a brand new 2012 purchased 10/01/2011 so one day after yours and it was part of the recall, I input my VIN on the VW site and it told me that I had the 23J9 recall for fuel lines outstanding. The next day they called me and I took it in....

See if the Canadian site will recognize your VIN and spit out the recall;
http://www.vw.ca/en/owners/about_your_volkswagen/vin_recall.html

300six

TDI
2012 TDI Jetta Sedan
NorthernMage, that's good to know - thanks. I tried the Canadian site but it also did not recognize my VIN.

From the US VW website, Recalls/ Campaigns section:

Open Recalls/Campaigns for VIN: 3VW3L7AJ3CM014672

There are no current recalls/campaigns for your VW.

I'm stumped.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm stumped.
You shouldn't be stumped. VW says that the recall starts in November and it is still October. VW has not yet entered our cars into their computer system. All CR (2009+) diesels will get the recall. Most will only get the resonance dampeners (little pieces of rubber), but a few selected build dates will get new injector line to injector #2. Check back on the recall website in a month - I bet it will show up then. Have a little patience. VW just announced that there will be a recall. It has not yet been inputted into their computer system.

Have Fun!

Don

dajo

TDI
2012 JSW sun/nav DSG
I wonder if there is an error in the serial numbers for the JSW. The last serial number is only 60,000 range and they are up 600,000 on the cars made in August 2011. All the other serial numbers are up into the hundred thousands range on all models. My number is cm601534. Anybody else notice this? I just checked my car and it does not have the dampeners installed.

Last edited:

bluelineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
This will help.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2011/V/RCDNN-11V490-9955.pdf

Look at page 3 section 573.6.(c) (8) Proposed Remedial Program.

It says all cars will get resonance dampeners, but only certain build dates will get new fuel lines.

Have Fun!

Don

Thanks for posting that. Looks like I get a new fuel line. Build date 12/10.